14.

C h a p t e r   F o u r t e e n
SECRETS

I thought you were healing me but no, you broke me even more.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

"So what I can tell, you're about three weeks along, going on four weeks. So you're definitely pregnant," the nurse states, moving the scope around Mom's belly.

My eyes stay glued to the little small screen that sported a black and white screening of the inside of Mom's belly. There inside, was a little oval sized bean.

"Is that the baby?" I ask aloud.

The blonde haired nurse, named Barbra, turns her head toward me a small smile on her face.

"Yes, you were like that once," she says, and all I do is stare back at the screen.

Nurse Barbra moves the small microscope on Mom's lower belly, that was covered in gel. After a minute, she pulls the thing away from Mom's stomach and packs everything away while handing Mom a tissue to wipe the gel from her stomach. She grabs her clipboard and looks through the sheets of paper on it.

"All right, seems like your baby is healthy and doing well. In about a few weeks, come back and we'll have another check up to see how your progressing." Nurse Barbara stated, giving us a smile.

~ • ~

"That went well." Mom commented as we walked out of the clinic.

I shrugged, "Could have been better if Dad was there," I mutter, looking off to the side, watching a few people glance our way.

Their eyes flickered back and forth between us as we walked from the building, again their eyes held curiosity and a distant emotion of something else. A couple with their child walked by us, and my eyes didn't miss the way the mother pulled her son closer to her side as they passed us. I frowned at that.

I finally tune back into whatever excuse Mom was making as we arrive at the car.

". .so that's why he couldn't make it." she finally finishes, looking up at me over the windshield. "Understand now?"

I blink at her, tilting my lips to the side. "Um. ." I trail off, unsure what to say.

"You didn't hear a thing I said, did you?" she asks with a sigh, a soft breeze blowing her brown hair over her shoulder.

"Y. . ye. . No." I say, laughing a bit at her expression.

She waves her hand in a dismissing manner, "Nevermind. Forget it."

Unlocking the car, we both hop in, and I buckle up the same time Mom puts the car in reverse and backs up before placing the car back in drive and zips down the street. We sat in a comfortable silence, the soft hum of the SUV flowing in my ears along with the radio playing on a low volume. That's when a thought passes through my head.

"Hey, Mom?"

"Hm," she hums, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Have you ever wondered why people haven't approached us?" I ask, glancing at her.

Her eyes cut over to me before gazing back on the road, turning the car to the left.

"What do you mean?" her eyebrows furrowing together