48.

↠C h a p t e r   F o r t y- E i g h t
NOT READY

Look deep into my eyes and realize that I will never back down.❞

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

I woke the next morning to the sunlight in my eyes from a slit in the curtains, squinting, I raise my arms above my head as I stretch, the muscles in my thighs sore and the junction between my legs along with the rest of my body. I freeze mid-movement, the feel of arms tightening around my bare waist before loosening up.

I glance behind me to see a mop of dark hair that belonged none other to Xavier as he slept, keeping his hold on me, face relaxed and peaceful. A flood of images came rushing back, all containing the events from the night before. A flush begins to warm my face as I turn to lie on my back.

With slow and deliberated movements, I unwrap Xavier's arms from around me before slipping out of the bed without waking him, the room was chilly but didn't seem to bother me as I tiptoed across the room bare as the day I was born, slipping inside the bathroom. Once I softly shut the door while twisting the lock, I release a breath that eases some of the tension from my body as I pad over towards the double marble sinks. I place my hands on the edge of the counter, hanging my head as I shiver, images still lingering in my mind, flashing like cars on the road some shown longer than others.

I sigh, striding over towards the glass door of the shower and quietly step inside. I stand under the stream of water, the temperature slowly going from icy cold to lukewarm, steam quickly fogging the glass. My thoughts wander, walking a slow path down memory lane and recalling everything from the night before, every sensation, touch, whispered words, promise and more that makes me forget what I had wished to be forgotten.

I cover my face, my cheeks immensely warm without the work of the shower. Heaving a sigh, I remove my hands from my face and behind to wash off, the evidence of our conjoinment washing down the drain but forever etched in my mind. An hour or so later, I step out of the shower feeling refreshed and new while wrapping a towel around me that was hanging from the silver bar on the wall.

I step out from the bathroom, steam following me out and floating into the air as my eyes flicker to the bed, where Xavier still laid fast sleep. I could feel him the back of my mind like a silver thread that outshines the others that wove and cross over each other, I feel his exhaustion, something I caused from him worrying about me more than his self.

My brows crease as I move towards his drawers and pick out my undergarments I had taken from the house, moving my case to the mirror to watch Xavier through it as I slipped on my clothes. He had his back towards me, the sheets pooling around his waist but leaving the upper half exposed for me to see, with a smile gracing my lips.

After putting the rest of my clothes on, I ease out the room as silently as I could, softly shutting the door behind me. I walk down the hall to the nursery, the hall quiet with everyone still fast asleep and enjoying their dreams, the door is within my sight, my fingers grasping the handle and easing the door open before peeking inside. From here I could see London was already awake, staring wide-eyed at the ceiling while squirming about in his cot, his eyes shifting to the sound of the door opening.

I smile, pushing the door farther open and striding towards the crib, peeking over the edge, my gaze immediately connecting with his. That spark was back, glittering in his eyes as I reach down and pick him up from beneath his arms, cradling him to my chest, holding him close all while I move to the door.

He grabs onto strands of my hair with his small fingers, trying to place them in his mouth, his eyes watching me as he does this. He was the joy that I needed besides what Xavier already gave me, and also the urge to go forward to make a better life for him than what I am experiencing. I'll give him a better life, I promise.