18.

C h a p t e r   E i g h t e e n↞
FINDING OUT

Love will find paths that wolves fear to prey.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

It started the minute I woke up, sets of shivers running down my back as I gazed out the fogged window, the blue lighting from the sky streaming in, and it wasn't because of the cold that I shivered; no, it was the same feeling I felt the first night I slept in this room.

The feeling of someone watching me.

I brushed it off with the thought of the blue-eyed wolf just standing at the edge of the forest, watching my window. I continued on with my morning, already knowing what I was going to do today, I did my morning routine and got dressed in a white sleeved shirt and jean pants along with my black and white converse.

"Good morning, Mom," I greet her, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

She smiles at me from her position at the stove cooking, eggs, and bacon. "Good morning, sweetie," she replied back, facing me for a moment.

I snatched a piece of bacon just as she turned back toward the stove. "You taking me to school today?" I ask.

She shook her head, strands of hair tumbling over her shoulder.

"No, not today. Your father will be taking you."

The bacon went down the wrong hole and I began coughing, spluttering pieces into my hand while my other thumped my chest.

"Oh. . that's nice," I choked out, my eyes watering.

"Careful now, you're eating too fast," she warned, turning around with two plates in her hands, filled with food.

My gaze drifted to her stomach which was becoming more noticeable, and I couldn't help but smile a bit. It was surprising she was only a month and a few weeks and showing this much. That's when the sound of feet thumping against the stairs, caused me to look over my shoulder just in time to see Dad walking through the kitchen's threshold.

"Morin' ladies," he greets, a small smile playing on his lips.

I press my lips together before turning around. From the corner of my eye I saw him walk over toward mom and give her a quick peck on the lips then looks my way. Ever since the other day with Noah he's been. . weird; he doesn't come home until late at night, dirty and tattered. Mom doesn't seem to mind, it has me thinking she knows what he's doing and only leaving me further in the dark.

My eyes unconsciously narrow into a glare, as I stare down at my untouched plate.

"Abigail?"

I jump at the sound of my voice and snap my head upward to connecting with Dad's chocolate brown eyes. "You ready?" he asks, grabbing the keys from the counter.

I nod, "Y-yeah," I clear my throat. He nods, and bids his goodbye to Mom, making his way to the front door. I slid from the bar stool and pick up my bookbag that was settled by the stool and give Mom a kiss on her cheek as well as giving her stomach a slight stroke.

"Make sure to wear the jacket I bought you! It snowed a bit last night," she called out to me.

~ • ~

Mid-day the same feeling from this morning resurfaced, as I walked down the empty halls. I glanced to the side out of a medium-sized window, where the sight of the light snow-covered forest was greeted. Shivers racked down my body whilst I continued to stare on, small movement from the edge of the treeline catching my attention.