30.

C h a p t e r   T h i r t y↞
BACK THEN

The tiger and the lion may be more powerful, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

Elijah finally broke through the forest line that leads to the backyard of my house, where I saw Mommy and Mason on the porch and Mason was hugging Mommy as they both sat on the lounge chairs. Even Daddy was outside, pacing beside the toys I had brought out earlier. A huge smile spreads across my mouth as I begin to bounce in Elijah's arms, I couldn't contain ,my excitement of showing them my new friend.

Daddy's ears did the twitching thing as we got closer – it did that whenever he heard something – his head snaps up and to the side, connecting gazes with me.

"Abigail!" he called out, wide-eyed.

His voice caught the attention of Mommy and Mason, they looked at Daddy and to where he was looking at, their own eyes widening when they saw me. Mason shot up from his seat, his chest rising heavily, his nose flaring. I turn to face Elijah as he continues to stare straight forward.

"That's my family!" I tell him, gauging his face while keeping one arm around his neck, and pointing with the other.

"I see," he mumbled, his hands adjusting me.

Holding me, he stops a few feet away from Daddy who was sending a mean stare at my friend. I raise both my arms and exclaim, "Daddy!"

His gaze shifts over towards me and soften in intensity before hardening when he sees Elijah's arm resting underneath my bottom, "Mason get your sister." he orders, and I watch as Mason moves away from Mommy's side and rushes down the porch steps.

He slowly makes his way over towards me all while his eyes are trained on Elijah. When Mason was close enough, I look back at Elijah as he lowers me toward Mason and into his awaiting arms—once I'm secured in my brother's arms, he steps back. Mason does the same and forces my head under his chin, holding me with both arms.

Daddy was suddenly by Mason's side, his from tensed as he lightly pushes Mason behind him with me in his arms; in the process, he blocks my view from Elijah.

"Diana," Daddy calls out.

The sound of footfalls nearing grabs my attention for a moment as Mommy places her hands on Mason's shoulders and steer him the other way. I lift my head wanting to see Elijah and with difficulty I observe him and Daddy staring deeply at each other, his face was empty looking while Daddy's back was towards us.

"Take your sister inside." I hear Mommy whisper to big brother. I whip around to face her, mouth opening.

"No Mommy!"

"Abigail, sweetie, this isn't the time to argue."

"But Mommy," my bottom lip begins to tremble at the thought of leaving Elijah.

Mason starts to walk in the direction of the door, leading inside. "Listen to Mom, Abby," he tells me softly.

"No!"