Confession

She was the last person he expected to see there, dressed in royal blue satin fabric, smiling and chatting away with reporters and random event goers. She looked... at home.

He watched as she carried on a conversation with an elderly man, her deep blue eyes drinking in every hand gesture the old man made while he spoke feverishly to her. He watched as those plump, cherry stained lips parted and the sweet melody of laughter filled the air.

A twinge of jealousy passed through him as she placed her hand delicately on the old man's arm and whispered playfully into his ear. Who was going to stop him if he had marched over there, grabbed her by the wrist and drug her out of there? Probably everyone, he thought while bringing up a small glass filled with amber liquid to his lips.

He watched as the diamonds in her ear dangled back and forth while she nodded her head in agreement to something the old man had said about the party. What was so interesting about that old man? And why did she even care?

The old man turned toward Henry, smiled and even waved a wrinkled, liver spotted hand. The woman beside him turned as well, her smile toning down just a notch as she leaned in to whisper something in the old man's ear. He turned to her, a smile on his wrinkled face and nodded his head while patting her arm.

She turned away from the old man and approached the bar where he had been standing the entire time.

"Husband," her voice was cold, far colder than the room they stood in.

"Wife," he replied with a sideways glance directed at her. "Enjoying yourself?"

"I am," she turned to face him. "Very much. The people here are so nice."

"Too nice." He grumbled into his empty glass. "Why are you here anyway?"

"What kind of wife would I be if I didn't come and show my support for my wonderful husband?" She said with a fake smile.

"The kind that isn't a liar. You don't  support me on this."

"Now Henry," she reached for his empty glass and handed him a new one. "I never once said I didn't support this, whatever this is, I just didn't like the idea of spending all this money on an event just to raise money."

Henry clenched his jaw. He was refraining from what he really wanted to stay. A few unsaid words from their heated discussion the night before lingered in his head and he was dying to get them out.

"I'm sorry," she said with a sigh. "I love you, Henry, and all this arguing as of late has got to stop. I am here for you, as your wife and your best friend. And if I did not support you, I would not be here."

Henry said nothing as he brought the glass to his lips and sipped the warm bitter liquid until he was able to find kind words of his own to say.

"I love you too, Alexis," Henry turned to his wife. "But I can't let go what you said. However, this is neither the time or place for it so we shall further discuss this at home."

"Bummer," she leaned in close to her husband and lowered her voice to a seductive whisper. "I was quite hoping for a little making up when we got home."

"Lex,"

She pulled away, "But if you want to discuss last night, by all means we can do that when we get home."

"Stop it."

Alexis sighed softly and stared directly into her husband's gorgeous blue eyes. "I am sorry about what I said. It was wrong of me and I shouldn't have accused you of it."

He knew he really shouldn't have opened his mouth, but his body was functioning faster than his brain. "You weren't wrong."

"What?"