Disappearance

"D i f f e r e n t, isn't it?"

"Just a little," she said, following behind her friend as they exited the massive airport. "Like a whole new world, actually."

He turned to her, green eyes sparkling as he chuckled lightly at her comment, "You don't get out much."

"Not into other countries," she replied. She turned to look around the busy airport and then back to her best friend, "How are we getting there?"

The only answer that followed after a serious look he gave her, had been, "Girl, just watch."

And she did, for the new few hours she sat in silence and watched as her friend worked his magic and got them from point A to point B, Jersey.

"You didn't think any of this through, did you?" She asked when they were finally in the island and walking into their hotel.

"I don't know what you are talking about," he led the way to the room they'd be sharing. "I have it all planned out; we will go to this race thingy-"

"Durrell Challenge."

"And we will meet hunky superman-"

"Henry Cavill," she adjusted the strap on her shoulder so that it would stop falling and stared at the back of his dirty blond head.

He stopped in front of her and turned to face her, "No one likes a know it all," he simply said.

"It's common knowledge," she replied, shoulders rising and arms extended out.

After settling into their hotel, both left to explore the foreign land. They had came a day earlier hoping to see a few things before leaving the day after the challenge.

After exploring came a much needed shower, dinner, and sleep. And after that came the very next day.

"Why did I let you talk me into this?" He asked as they stood somewhere amongst the crowd participating for the days run. "I'm so going to sweat and that's just ew, like no."

"Reminder," she looked up at him, "you are the one that bought me a plane ticket and dragged me along."

He rolled his eyes, today they were hazel.

Much later, after the run, they had taken it upon themselves to explore the zoo.

She turned her back to Amelio for a split second, "How cute," she said as she watched the children getting their faces painted. "That almost gives me baby fever." She turned back to him to find him gone.

Her heart raced, a sensation of fear rising and bringing tears to her eyes. He had disappeared and he had her phone. It had only been a second, she turned her back for a split second and somehow this tall, dirty blond haired, lanky boy disappeared. He had not been hard to miss with his neon pink shirt and his fluorescent green board shorts, yet she could not spot him anywhere.

"I'm sorry," someone said after colliding into her. She turned, her shoulder slightly aching from the collision. He had been a solid mass of muscle, it was clearly visible beneath his deep olive green shirt.

She looked up, something she didn't exactly have to do with Amelio despite his five foot eleven height. She felt stunned into silence as a pair of soft blue eyes that reminded her of a denim sort of color peered back down at her. One side of his mouth rose higher than the other in a crooked half smile that had been meant as an apologetic smile. His face had been covered in facial hair but only the mustache had been left to grow thicker than the rest.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" He placed a hand on her shoulder, the one he bumped in to.

She shook her head and closed her mouth once she realized it had been opened.

His smile disappeared and a worried look appeared, "Is everything alright?" He asked her, "You look upset, can I help in any way?"

Her mouth opened again, and then closed. She looked straight ahead, at his chest, instead of up at him and cleared her mind. Why did she look so upset? What had she lost?

"Oh," she looked back up, remembering Amelio, "my friend, he's seemed to disappear."

Henry peered back over his shoulder and she saw why, he had people waiting on him. He turned back to her, "What does your friend look like?" He asked her.

A feeling of guilt washed over her, he had things to do, he shouldn't be making other wait just to help her, a grown woman, find her friend.

"It's fine, I'll just look for him," she said softly, "I don't want to keep you, I'm sure you're busy."

She noticed his jaw tighten and a muscle twitch, his eyes darkened and for a second, she realized he looked conflicted. He wanted to help her but she spoke the truth.

"Thank you for your concern," she finally said, doing her best to keep fear from cracking her voice.

She smiled sweetly and pulled away, turning to go find Amelio. Maybe he just went to the bathroom, he had a habit of doing that.

As she was walking, she realized people were turning toward her so she stopped. She turned around and there he was, jogging to catch up to her.

"What does he look like?" He asked, wiping away a bead of sweat that trickled down his forehead.

"It's okay," she replied with a smile, a real genuine smile. "I will find him. It shouldn't be hard to find a gay guy in bright clothing."

"Gay?" There was a smile on his face as he said the word. He had looked almost like he was relieved about something but she brushed it off as her own imagination. His blue eyes darted up, behind her, "Is that him over there?" He asked, pointing in a direction behind her.

She turned around, arms that had once been crossed now uncrossing as she spot the damn person she'd been looking for leaning up against a rail chatting away with a man.

"Yes," she said, disbelief edging her tone. "He ditched me in a foreign place for some guy? That turd! And he knew he had my phone too!"

A hand wrapped around her arm. She looked down realizing it had been his and turned to look up at him.

"Maybe you should pay him back," a glint of mischief shimmered in those blue eyes and he wore a wicked grin to match. He nudged his head back in the direction where they had met, and released her arm.

Henry turned to walk back that way, stopping only to see if she was following. She wore a smile as she hurried to catch up to him and it only got bigger as she felt his hand "accidentally" brush her's.

________________________

Because you gems deserved an update 💕