Hard To Get [III]

Henry walked out a little before me, leaving me in a state of shock from the icy cold water I had just been plunged into. Not literally.

"Okay," I said to myself quietly while I found the strength to stand. "I deserved that." Like, every bit of that, but it still stung. Why though? That's what I wasn't getting.

Why was it such a big deal if Henry suddenly lost interest in me and called off our date Friday? Had I not just spent half the night at dinner zoned out and thinking about home?

I shook my head and pushed open the restaurant door, taking a step outside into the cool autumn night. Here is where it hit me, the sad reality that my car was halfway across town and that I had rode here with Henry in his car, where my purse was nestling in the back seat... with my phone.

I was officially convinced. This was Karma.

"Get in."

Looking straight out in front of me, there sat the familiar black car with its window rolled down on the passenger side. Without a word, I walked forward, pulled open the door and slid in.

"Thank you," I mumbled after buckling my seatbelt.

He didn't say anything, just shifted from park to drive and pulled out from the curbside and into the traffic of the night.

The whole drive had been a silent one. Occasionally I would glance over to find him staring out the window while we sat at a red light. Other times he'd shift his gaze to the phone sitting in the console that would often light up with a new notification whether email, text, or simply a missed call.

By the time we reached the Starbucks parking lot, I had convinced myself to do something I would have never done in a million years.

"Henry?" I spoke softly. He turned to look at me but from the way he bit at his thumb and looked at me with a cold and distant expression, I knew he'd rather I just get out the car without a single word.

I hadn't realized that a minute had gone by until he let out a frustrated sigh and said, "What?"

Henry shifted in his seat, moving to grab for his phone when I made my move. Grabbing his face, I turned it so that he was looking directly at me and I went for it. I leaned in and pressed my lips against his.

The hand that had been on his phone quickly moved from phone, to putting the car in park to finally resting on the small of my back as he tried to bring me closer.

Things soon got a little heated to the point where I had to pull away and stop him myself before we both did things we shouldn't. Least not in a car in a public parking lot.

"Okay, so I didn't plan that properly," I muttered.

"You planned that?"

"No," I turned to look at him. "I mean I planned to surprise you with a kiss, but I didn't think it'd turn into a makeout session."

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair as I fell back against the seat.

Beside me, Henry had also sat back in his seat and was now tapping the center console. His eyes were looking around the parking lot and I was starting to feel a little curious as to what was going through his mind.

"Would you like to go somewhere more private? To talk, I mean."

I nodded my head. "Yes, we do need to talk. About this whole day and more."

"More?" Henry looked over at me, his left brow arching slowly.

"I am not saying I am ready for a relationship," I began. "But, I would love to get to know you more."

His lips twisted into a beautiful smile, one that melted my heart and forced me to look away. I had to.

Henry's hand brushed against my arm before sliding down to my hand. He wrapped his large, warm fingers around my hand, which was tiny in his, and brought it up to his lips.

"Thank you," he said before lightly pressing his soft lips to the back of my hand.

"You're welcome," I replied as I leaned over toward him to place a simple kiss on his cheek. Being the devil of a man that he was, Henry turned his head just in time and met my lips with his own. He released my hand so that he could cup my face as we deepened the kiss.

As much as my head was screaming that this was a bad idea, my heart was telling me something much different. And my body? Well, God damnit, my body just seemed to have a mind of it's own.

"You have soft lips," Henry whispered against my lips as we pulled apart to allow oxygen to flow through our lungs again.

"So do you," I replied with a smile. "Like silk. How do you have such silky lips for a man?"

"Are men not meant to have soft lips?" He pressed his forehead against mine.

"No." I simply replied.

"And why not?" He asked as he pulled back.

I felt my smile growing. I brought my hand up to his face and ran my thumb along his perfectly chiseled jawline and marveled at the fact this man was truly human.

"Because," I stated, my eyes drifting from those beautiful soft lips, to his perfectly shaped nose, to those gorgeous blue eyes that made my heart race every time I peered into them. "Then I feel compelled to kiss them all the time." And then it happened. The one thing I was trying to avoid since the moment our eyes met and he spoke to me and only me. "I think I'm in love with you."

My eyes drifted back down to his lips that were now curved into the most dazzling smile. "Good," he said while slipping his fingers into my hair. "Because I've been in love with you since the moment I heard you speak."

And then he kissed me like I had never been kissed before. This one was different, passionate. I didn't want it to end but, as there was someone laying on the horn in the car that pulled up behind us, we had no choice.

Henry, smirking, shifted the car from parked to drive and started driving leaving behind my beat up Dodge Shadow in the parking lot of Starbucks.

I sat back against the leather passanger seat and started to laugh, allowing the excitement of the night to finally sink in.

Henry's hand slipped into mine, pulling my attention back to his handsome face. He was smiling, his blue eyes on the road in front of us. When he came to the first red light that he did not speed through, he turned toward me and in that moment I realized that I no longer thought, I knew.

Fin.