How I Met Henry [III]

"Why are you so happy?"

"Can I not be happy?" I asked as I sat down at the dining table with my phone in hand while my dad sat on the couch watching tv and my stepmom in the kitchen cooking dinner.

"Yeah, Tom, can't she just be happy?" Asked my stepmom as she peered around the corner at my dad, smiling.

"She can, as long as I know why."

"Leave her alone," my stepmom warned as she held up her spatula and pointed it at him before returning to the stove. "Has he asked to go out yet?"

"Huh?" I looked up from my phone. "Oh, no, he's all the way in Fort Lauderdale."

"That's only an hour away, silly."

"Still, it's such a drive and I go home soon."

"Which will be four hours away. Ask him out. I'll drive you over there if he agrees."

"No, he probably isn't interested in me like that," I said as I folded my arms on the table and stared up at her. Her expression said that she didn't believe a single word that came out of my mouth, but she also didn't say anything either.

Truthfully, he did bring up the idea of us hanging out, but I told him I'd have to see. That was a day ago. I still had yet to ask and I was honestly too scared to do so.

Beside my arm, my phone vibrated against the oak table and I looked down to see a message from Henry. 'Kal would love to meet you' it read along with yet another picture of cute Kal curled up on his bed. I wanted to meet him too. And steal him. He was just so adorable!

"Is that his dog?"

I jumped a little, startled by the fact my stepmom was leaning on the table and staring at my phone. She stood up straight, cackling as I placed a hand over my heart and pressed my face against my other arm still on the table.

"Yes," I mumbled through my arm.

"He's cute, reminds me of Smoky." Smoky was their previous dog, a red chow, that had passed away after so many years.

"His names Kal, he's an American Akita."

"Cute, lot of fur, though."

"I know, he looks like a cute cuddly teddy bear."

"And he looks like he wants to meet you too. Set up a day and I'll take you over there. I can visit your sister while I'm there."

I nodded my head and picked up my phone as she went back to her spot in the kitchen, but not before returning the evil look my dad was giving her. I shook my head at the two and went back to my phone.

'Stepmom saw the text and now wants to know when she can drop me off 😂' God I wish I wasn't so cringy. Like why couldn't I be an adult either? Stepmom saw the text. Pft, was I still a teenager?

My phone went off as he responded quickly to my message. 'I can always come there. I'd like to meet your family.'

Hmm, 'And bring Kal? I don't know how Jenna or Gizmo would react around him and I'd hate for something to happen.' I replied.

As soon as it sent, he read it.

'That is fine, you two could always meet another time. I'd really love to take you out.'

I sat back in the chair rereading his text. I guess I could see why he'd be more interested in coming here. If he looked up Naples he'd obviously find out it was very similar to other popular cities, but more of a retirement place for old people... and rich people.

'If that is what you want.' I replied.

"So have you figured something out?" My stepmom asked when she set a plate down in front of me.

"Uh, kind of," I replied as I turned off my phone and pushed it to the side so I wouldn't be on it while eating. "He wants to come visit here."

"Really?" She looked just as surprised as I was as she sat down.

Over on the other end, my dad made a noise but said nothing as he started to eat.

"Ignore him, he won't do anything and even if he tried, Jenna would sick him for you, right Jenna?"

"And Jenna would be no more," he said as he took a bite of his food and glared at my stepmom.

"Don't you touch my dog."

I tuned them out as the conversation started to get heated and I began thinking about what to do with Henry? If he was coming here, I should show him around, but how could I show him around when I barely knew this place?

"He is more than welcome to come here and see you. Maybe this Saturday. We're having a bonfire and going four wheeling, maybe he'd like to hang out?"

"Maybe," I said as I placed my fork to my lips and stared at my phone. Just maybe.

***

Friday morning I woke up feeling anxious for what was to come. Henry had liked the idea of meeting more of my family Saturday, but he had also wanted to spend some alone time with me so he was considering looking into a hotel for him and Kal.

Of course, when I told my stepmom this she immediately protested the idea and welcomed him to stay with us. We'd just have to monitor the dogs as we rotated them out every so often so they weren't cooped up in rooms all day.

When I spoke to Henry that following Thursday night about it, he liked the idea and said he'd let me know when he was close on Friday.

Well, it was now Friday. In the morning to be exact and I was home alone cleaning up a storm. Because the room I stayed in was closest the door than the other guest bedroom, I was going to let Henry stay in there with Kal. Plus it had a tv, mini fridge and access to the kitchen.

He had the address to the place, so I wasn't at all surprised when he didn't text me until nearly twelve in the afternoon letting me know that he was on his way and that Kal was most excited to meet me. In return, I responded letting him know to inform me when he was close so I could open the gates and put the dogs up.

He didn't respond, and so I went back to work hurrying even faster than before because it wouldn't be that long before he finally arrived.

And hour later and still no word, I was rounding up the dogs and bringing them back inside when my phone started to buzz in my back pocket.

I pulled it out, saw that it was Henry calling and I answered it. "Hello?"

"Hey," he replied as I closed the door behind me. "I just turned down the road, hopefully it's the right one."

"Give me a second to put up the dogs and I'll be down by the gate to help you." I said as I grabbed one dog by the collar and called for the other to follow. They weren't stupid, but because one was easy to pick up and carry into the room, the other was very much curious to know what was going on.

Once inside, I closed the door behind them and hurried to get outside.

"Still there?" I asked as I closed the door behind me and sorta power walked/jogged down the driveway to the gate.

"Yeah, I'm here," he said as I reached the gate and indeed he was here as he pulled up just as I opened the gate, pushing one off to the side and walking along with the other.

I removed the phone from my ear and ended the call as he rolled in and came to a stop.

"Hello," he said with a grin on his face as he rolled down the window.

"Hello," I replied back, having a hard time trying to keep from smiling myself. Beside him, I noticed a rather fluffy creature and instantly my heart melted. "And hello to you, Kal."

Kal stood up for a second before sitting down and starting to whine. "I told you he's been waiting to meet you," said Henry as he reached over to scratch in between his ears.

I smiled as I stood up straight. "Just pa over there where that pole is and you can let him roam free." I said as I stepped back so that Henry could drive further up the way.