Hard To Get [II]

With my hands gripping the wheel while I banged my head against it, I repeated the words, "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid." Over and over.

The plus side was that I could ignore Henry, but the negative side? My phone was my literal life line. It had everything on there from pictures of my dog as a puppy to now, including some of my own best selfies I had yet to save. Oh and my bank information too.

The worst part about this all, was that my phone was now in the hands of some stranger who would probably hack their way into my phone and then who knows what else they would do.

At this point I just felt like breaking down and I did. I just couldn't hold it back anymore. How could I have been so stupid? Maybe it was all karma for the way I treated Henry, but was it really wrong of me to reject him? There were plenty of other girls that would willingly fill my place and although he was handsome, he just wasn't for me.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair once again. Looking up into the mirror, I noticed the familiar navy blue sweater pop into view. I wiped at my eyes and turned around to see what he was up to. Just as I turned, he bent down to peer into my car window and smiled.

Reaching forward to roll down the window, since it was one of those old cars where you did it yourself, I stared at him.

"I was wondering," he laid one arm over the other and leaned on my door. "Just what I could get in exchange for something you're looking for."

"Looking for?" I asked dumbfounded.

Henry uncrossed his arm and reached into his back pocket to pull out a familiar white phone.

"How? Where?" I stammered.

"I meant to give it to you with your keys but it must have slipped my mind, your beauty is quite distracting."

At this point I had to bite my tongue. He found my phone, the one thing I needed most. No matter how much of a bitch I wanted to be to him, I just couldn't let myself do it.

"Henry," I looked up into his blue eyes.

"Hmm?"

"Are you free?"

"Why, I do believe I am. Why do you ask?"

I sighed and leaned back in my seat. "Would you like to get something to eat?"

"What was that?" He leaned down and stuck his head through the window. "I didn't catch it."

"Would you, Henry, like to get something to eat with me?"

I turned my head to find him grinning from ear to ear. "Why of course, I would love to get something to eat with you, Annette."

"How did you get into my phone?"

"It wasn't locked."

"Why is this happening to me?" I cried, my eyes now on the ceiling of the car.

***

"Does this mean I get to enjoy dinner with you twice this week?"

"What?" I snapped out of my little daydream of going home and looked up to find Henry smiling across the table at me.

"You still owe me for the keys."

"Oh," my heart sank. So I would have to see him again, damn.

I sighed softly. With my eyes on the straw I was playing with, I nodded my head to give my response.

"I promise, that will be the last time. I won't force you to spend another unbearable minute in my presence afterward."

"It's not entirely unbearable." I heard myself saying without entirely thinking before speaking.

"Really?" He sounded surprised and a little pleased.

Looking up, I saw that he looked relieved and then it kind of hit me. Here was this gorgeous guy who had girls throwing themselves at him, a guy was trying everything he could to get me to give him a chance and I was being a cold hearted bitch. He had to have seen something in me that he liked if he was still trying even after I had rejected him... coldly I might add.

"Really," I replied softly. "I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a bitch to you."

Henry shook his head and flashed me a sweet, reassuring smile. "Terrible luck with men?"

"The worst." I admitted.

"I'm sorry." He leaned forward, the table shifting just a little under his weight. "We aren't all bad."

"No," I said, "but you are an actor and that's just about close to the bad ones."

Henry sat back in the wired chair, he smile fading away. I closed my eyes and shook my head. As much as I wanted to apologize for it, I couldn't.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Henry pulling out his wallet to hand the waitress a plastic card. She smiled and walked away, leaving us to our awkward silence that had formed.

He drummed his fingers on the table and stared off in the direction the waitress went and I, well I just sat there feeling every bit like an asshole.

"I'm sorry." I choked out.

Henry turned to me, but I could tell from the way he was looking past me, he didn't want to look at me. "No," he said. "I'm the one who should be apologizing. I shouldn't have forced you to come out with me if you didn't want to."

"But I'm the one who asked, remember?"

"Only because I gave you your phone back. And if I recall, you weren't at all pleased with asking."

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and sat back against the uncomfortable chair.

"You don't have to worry about Friday." He said after the waitress had left for the last time. Henry stood up and placed his wallet back into his jeans and looked at me. "Something has come up anyway."