2. The tale of the floating message in a bottle

❤ A day before I wrote the message:

          **Kaye's POV**

        Winter vacation with my grandparents, in the middle of January. I haven't been here before. My grandparents would always visit me at home in the Philippines but now, my grandma is sick so I ended up helping them out for my vacation. I don't mind. I love the ocean here even though it's too cold to appreciate it. It's gonna be a great place to start over.

" Jade?!" My Grandfather's voice appeared out of nowhere.

I told him so many times not to call me that. My grandad yelled my name from their porch so I stood up and walked home. I stared at the sea before I left.

"Grandad, I'm here. Do you need help with anything?"

I sat right next to him. He was holding an empty bottle. When I sat, he handed over the bottle to me. I picked it up with an awe on my face.

"Am I suppose to refill this? " I asked as I stared at it closely.

He just laughed. He stood up and went inside for a minute. When he came back, he had something on his hands.

"paper? Now, this is too weird. Message in a bottle? Grandad, that's not true. In my 27 years of existence, message in a bottle doesn't exist."

"And peterpan does? That bottle is magical. Write something. It'll find it's way to someone who is waiting for you." He sat and gave me the paper. An old parchment paper.

"Where did you find this bottle anyway?"

"I saw that floating in front of me and led me to your grams. Who knows, maybe that special girl is waiting out there, somewhere in this vast ocean, for a note that's gonna save her."

I'm the type of person who believes in peterpan, magic and stuff. So, message in a bottle is very intriguing for me. I picked up the pen and wrote my very first message in a bottle.

❤Present time:

I sat and waited early. No bottle came floating nearby. So, I stood up and went out. I decided to go to the store early and I saw this beautiful girl buying a liquor? I hope that's not hers.

"What? You've never seen a girl buy this before?" She asked angrily.

"I have. Sorry. Hi. My name is.." I extended my hand forward, hoping for a handshake.

She stared at me angrily like I'm wasting her precious time and stormed off. Why is she angry at me? I just stared at her from the window of the store. She is almost as tall as me, slender, long and a little way hair, her skin as white as snow, beautiful blue eyes. But maybe an alcoholic. So I sighed to myself. She would've been someone I'd like to know more.

When I went home, I saw my grandad lying down on the floor, beside the bed and still holding grams' hand. Her condition seems to be worsening.

I want to grow old with the one I choose to love. But the consequence, you still need to let them go, eventually. Til death do us part. But no matter how strong you love someone, even death will come knockin' on your doorstep.

"Grandad, wake up. You'll get cramps sleeping that way. I'll help you to bed." I slowly said as I tried to help him up.

"Sue, don't go."
He said crying and staring at the door.

I slowly turned my head to look at it but there's no one there.

"Grams is sleeping now. Maybe.."

I stood straight and looked at Grams. She is sleeping quietly. But almost too quiet. I walked slowly next to her. I just stood there and I couldn't move.

"Grams? "

I whispered. I could hear my grandad crying, calling her name over and over again. Yet, I just stood there. It took a while before I realized she wasn't breathing anymore. How do you wake up someone who doesn't want to? Or how do you wake someone who can't.

I just sat there by the beach crying. If it hurts this much for me, I can't imagine the pain my grandad is going through right now. But he is keeping everything to himself.

I wish he didn't have to. I wish I could take away at least half of the pain but I can't. All I can do is watch him live with it.

My hands are freezing, knowing I'm from a tropical place, winter isn't an annual thing to get used to. It's too cold. But as I was thinking about everything else, I caught a glimpse of something floating on the water.

A few yards from where I was sitting.

"That's not possible. That can't be someone's reply to my letter."

I went closer to the shore but as soon as I stepped on the water, it's like thousands of knives were piercing through my body. I shivered and held my jacket closer.

I looked around to find a stick, a long stick. I ran back to the house to get one but when I came back, the bottle was already on the sand, just where I was standing up a while ago.

I stood there, I couldn't move or comprehend why or how. I looked around if someone was playing a trick on me. But nobody's there. I sat right next to the bottle, slowly opened the lid and took the paper out.

Ocean....I stood up and stared at the ocean in front of me. How can this be possible? There should be an explanation, or just a really big coincidence.

I put the paper back into the bottle and ran back home.

"Grandad?"
I called outside his room.

He was just sitting next to the window and staring at an empty sky. I walked closely to him and got down on one knee, still holding the bottle in one hand, my other hand reached out to hold him.

"Grandad, look. It came back with a note from someone. Her name is Ocean. You were right."

He just stared at me and smiled, looked up like somebody was calling him, stood up and went out. I sighed to myself and looked at the bottle again in my hand. I guess it's up to me now.

I went back to my room, placed the bottle on my table and stared at the note.

( If this is a magical bottle, I hope you can read this. I just want to put my faith on something. Anything. My name is Ocean. Help me.)

"Ocean. You have a beautiful name. How can I possibly help you? How can I possibly help someone when I don't even know how to help myself?"

From the corner of my eyes, I saw my guitar. I picked up and started strumming it. When I can't put my faith on anything, I use my music to make me remember my way back.

I stared at an empty paper and had some weird thoughts.

" A message in a bottle. My letter found her and now, she is trying to find me. If she is losing hope, can my music find her? " I wondered.

        I started to play a song for her. A song that I would sing for Ocean because of the fact that she isn't here with me. But because she isn't, I want her to know that no matter how strange this is, someone is waiting. It could be me.