21. Truth or dare

***Ocean's POV***

           I was standing by the counter, Jade was helping out a customer. Lory suddenly entered the store.I can't say we're both friends because on normal days, she doesn't remember that I exist. So for her to be here now, is definitely intentional.

"Hey girlfriend. " she greeted

         She rested her elbows on the countertop and looked around. I usually think of her as the female version of my stepbrother. Not that they've dated...formally.

"I heard the bar's closed tonight. Charlie has an important date...or she thought."  She said

"What does that mean?" I interruped

" I have a small party at home. Just drinking with the guys and a little..."

        She moved closer to my ears and whispered. I almost moved back a little and whispered.

"Fun. "

" I'm busy." I answered.

"Too bad. I already invited Mr. handsome over there and he said yes. Well, Shan, if you change your mind, you know where I live. " She said and

         She blew a kiss to Jade who immediately looked away.  After she left, Jade walked beside me.

"You're not coming?" He asked

"Who said? I can't let you go there on your own. You don't know the place and the people. They are.... Weird..dangerous..flirty.... Maybe forget the last one." I tried explaining the best way I could without sounding obvious.

            He smiled. You know that smile he makes when he doesn't show his teeth.

"You're worried about me." He stated which is true.

"No! I'm worried about me. If I let you go alone, you would be my responsibility. If something happens, they'd blame me." I did my best reasoning

"like what can happen?" He asked and smiled

         I sighed and pretended to be fixing something.

"Lory flirts with everyone."

        He laughed loudly and took my hand.

"Shan, just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I should flirt with her. There's flirting when the other person let's you flirt. It goes both ways. Unless it's what you want." He said and made me turn around

"Go back to work." I said

            He left smiling to himself and I can't help but smile as well. Is it what I want? Not really but thinking about another girl with Jade makes me feel really uncomfortable.

           We finished working at 4pm. Lory said to go straight to her place. So we did, but before we could both go inside, his phone rang.

"my aunt needs me to do something for my grandad."  He said as he checked his clock

"Do you want me to go with you?" I asked and wished he'd agree.

          Jamie came out of the door and he stood there waiting, impatiently staring at his fingernails.

"He is waiting. I'll be back as soon as I can. I promise." He said

        He took one more look at me then at Jamie, and he left. At least this time, there's a reason and he is going to come back. One of the most  difficult things in life is waiting for someone who never asked you to wait.