30. Barely breathing

***Kaye's POV***

         When I arrived at work, Shan seemed to be at her usual self but a bit distracted. When she saw me, she pretended for a second that she didn't see me. I mean, you already had that eye contact with her, so why bother pretending it wasn't me?

          I sat next to her on the counter during my free time. She still pretended I wasn't there. I moved a little towards her, she still didn't look at me. I moved closer even more, my shoulder is barely touching her. She still didn't bother.

"Hey."

         I said. She just sat there and kept tapping her fingers on the table. I moved my face to her and pretended to cough a little. Maybe the sound of me might make her remember.

"Seriously? If you don't say anything, I'm going to sit on your lap." I demanded

          I stared at her and I swear, I saw her trying to control herself from smiling. So, I stood up and without thinking twice, I moved her hands and sat on her lap.

"Are you insane? " she objected

"Probably. Insanely in love with you." I said as I winked at her.

           She smiled at me but I know that somehow, behind her smile, there's  a hint of sadness but she is trying so hard to conceal it from everyone else. I lifted my right hand and caressed her cheek. She closed her eyes the moment my hand touched her face. I moved her front hair and slightly touched her scar. Without a doubt, I know this woman is Ocean.

            I was about to kiss her when we heard someone chuckled. When I looked, it was an old lady with her grandchild, I assume. Take note, I'm still sitting on her lap. Quite an effective way to make her stop from running.

"Do you mind?"    She whispered and smiled.

         But this time, the smile on her face is different. I know she's broken. But you know what, I fell for her inspite of all her cracks. The damaged parts of her completes the missing pieces in me. Strangely.

            The smile she has now because of me is one of the reasons why I know we're meant to be. How I know? She doesn't smile like this to everybody. She doesn't look at me the same way that she does to everyone else.

            Then, I remembered last night. If I meant that much to her, she would have at least turned around when I sang.

           I stood up immediately with an unplanned frown on my face and walked away. We started working in silence again. I'm not mad at her. I'm just confused.

            While she was busy tallying the cash, I sneaked to Ace's office. He was playing a game online. It's something I've seen him do a lot. So just by looking at his expression, I could tell on his face that he was winning.

"Just in time. Do you want to play with me? I can definitely win this time. I can feel it. You can.." he said

           I walked and stopped in front of his desk.

"I'm resigning." It just came out of my mouth

"Why?! Is it because of the working hours? The salary? Just say it. We can talk about it. Just..jut stay. I mean... Well, maybe this is just a crappy job. People don't normally get the best future from working on a store so..." He said and I felt really bad for him

"Hey hey.. No. This is the best job I have ever had. Trust me. And besides, this crappy job gave me the best moments of my life with the best boss I could ever ask for." Saying that, just made me feel even worse.