15. Hug me til I fall

***Ocean's POV***

          Jade was still shaking when I put him to bed. I don't even know what time it is now. His room is dark, only the moon is visibly clear to my eyes. I turned on the nightlight next to his bed and I sat right next to him.

"sssshhaan?" He said while he was shaking.

"Yeah?" I asked

" Can I hug you even just for tonight? Please? " His voice was trembling hard.

" Scoot over." I said and moved the blanket .

          He moved a little bit and I lied next to him. Jade lays on his back, I faced him, laying on my side. I rested my head on his chest and I felt his hand on my back.

"Is it better?" I whispered

"Much. "

        Then he was silent. I could hear him breathing. I could hear his heart beating faster and faster just like mine. It's almost like a song. It's rhythm reminds me of someone.

" Kaye."

        I whispered. When I checked on Jade, he is already sleeping. I slowly removed his hand and placed a pillow. I put the blanket on, in case he gets cold again. I slowly searched for my bag and checked for my mp3. I listened to the latest one as I checked his letter. Because it was dark, I moved closer to the window.

       "Hi Ocean. Did you get my letter? I sure hope I put a smile on your face as you were listening to the song. I'm sure there's static again.  ~~

            I read it a few times and kept smiling to myself. I always try to imagine what Kaye would look like. But I always end up thinking of Jade instead.  I wish I knew their connection. I picked up my pen and paper, and started writing for Kaye.

           I told him about my not-so good days and my better days. But I didn't mention that today is my birthday.

       " But no matter how bad this day is, your music has helped me a lot. It's so beautiful. Any girl would fall for you the minute they hear you sing the first note. I hope to hear you sing live someday. I wonder what I'd feel when that day comes. When that day comes, I'll probably be lost for words. My friend is sick now. I'm with them. I have never felt so welcomed in someone's home before. I wish I could stay. You should see it, they even have Christmas decorations. It doesn't matter if it's a little late. What matters is that, you're celebrating it with the people who wants to celebrate it with you. Funny because I've never been kissed under a mistletoe. Winter is almost ending. So when you see a mistletoe, seize the moment. Do it for me."

             I looked at Jade as I was folding the note. I couldn't take a video at this moment knowing Jade might suddenly wake up. I placed it inside the bottle with the USB. It's his and might be needing it. I stood up and checked on Jade. He is still sleeping. I slowly walked out of the room. It's very dark so I used my phone to light up where I'm heading since I don't really know where the light switch is.

          I hid the bottle inside my jacket and slowly walked to the front door. The moment I'm out, I walked as fast as I could to the beach. Jade might wake up suddenly so I need to do it before he wakes.

           I walked near the shore and just stood there for a while, with my eyes closed. I hope this bottle will take it to where you are waiting for me. I let it float again in the water. Normally, I wait til it's gone but tonight, I decided to put it in the water and walked away after.

           When I came back to his room, he is still sleeping. I sat next to him, moved the strands of hair covering his face and slowly traced his jawline. I placed my palm on his forehead to check his temperature and realized he is burning.

"Jade?" I cried.

       I went out again and looked for something in the kitchen. Something.. Anything knowing it's not my kitchen, I have no idea where things are.. I saw a big stainless steel bowl near the sink. I took it and poured some water on it. I searched for some clean towels but I couldn't find any so I went back to his room.

       I placed the bowl beside his bed and walked to wards his closet. I slowly opened one of the drawers. Oh my God!! Guess what I saw! I closed it again and felt my cheeks got hotter. If by chance, you lose a pair of your underwear, would you remember it? I think I wouldn't.

         I opened the next one. I was so happy to know it was the right one. I took the blue face towel and walked towards him. I soaked the towel on the bowl and squeezed out the excess water. I put it on his forehead. I did it repeatedly after a few minutes.

        When his fever didn't decrease, I stood up to close his door and immediately took off my jacket, my sweater, my jeans. I'm left wearing my undergarments and a white tanktop. This situation calls for a desperate measure. Since I don't know how to find the things I need, this is as desperate as I get. At least, I'm still wearing something.

         I got into bed and lied next to him. I hugged him so tight. Maybe my body heat will help him, atleast a little. As I was leaning close to him, I closed my eyes to sleep. After a few seconds, my eyes were wide open. He moved,  rested his face on my neck, he threw his top leg over mine. His legs are almost intertwined to mine, or what they call spooning without the kissing part because I could definitely hear Jade snoring.

           My heartbeat was getting faster and faster . Every second that passed, I felt myself falling. This can't be. Because his face is on my neck, I could smell his scent more. I could smell his shampoo. I could smell his natural smell along with the perfume that seems a little sweet.

       I slowly lifted my hand to lightly brush his hair with my fingers. I smiled to myself as I realized this day is ending. And for the first time in a long time, my birthday ended up happily. We didn't have a celebration like the one I usually hate, you know cakes, blowing the candles to make a wish. For me, that's the fairy tale. Why do people make a wish when they blow a candle? Why do they expect it to come true when it's supposed to be just a candle? Candles can't make your wish come true. You make your wish come true. Because no matter how many times you blow the candle, it can never light up again on it's own.

         I usually spend my birthdays on my own even when I was with Jamie. I thought of it as a love myself moment day that usually ended up in a disaster because I had to take care of my family's burden.  I have always thought helping someone is a burden. Why bother helping someone when I can't even help myself? That's what I usually thought.

             I stared at the light illuminating from the window. I was so wrong. Helping someone isn't a burden at all. When I help Jade, something in me, is changing. When I look into his eyes, I see myself smiling. But as the days go by and as I listen to Kaye's music, I see myself healing, hoping, believing.