24. The search for the missing bottle

***Ocean's POV***

            When I got home, I lied down on my bed immediately and fell asleep instantly. I woke up at the sound of my step mother's voice echoing around the house.

"Shan!"

       I rubbed my eyes, irritated and wondered what she wants this time. But then, she asks for one thing..only one thing every time...That's money. I ran downstairs, she was waiting at the bottom of the stairs. She was leaning against the wall for support. When she saw me, she put up her hand like she was asking me to give her something.

       I knew what she wanted. What else could she want. I went back my room and looked for my backpack. I opened the front zipper and took some money from wallet the stood up. I was holding the doorknob when I stopped.

         Something is wrong. I turned around and picked up my bag. I sat on my bed and dropped everything that's inside my bag on the bed. I just stared at it with my mouth wide open. I was shaking and almost crying. I checked under the bed, in the cabinet, I checked everywhere. But the bottle's not here.

         Then my stepmom came in.

"What's taking so long?" She asked in a bored manner

        I looked inside my bag again, shook it so many times. Hoping that If I shake it more, it's going to fall out of the bag. The bottle has some sort of magic or something. So, it can't  be lost. 

"Where is it?"

         I slowly asked.

" What?" She asked,

          I stood up and stared at her angrily.

"Where is it? Where is the bottle?" I asked and stood up

"What bottle?" She asked as she kept checking her manicure

"Give it back to me." I don't know why but my voice was starting to break

"Money." She reminded

         She handed over her hand and I gave her everything in my wallet.

"Tell me where it is." I pleaded

"I must have thrown it in the trash." She said smiling

          I just stood there for a moment trying to let my brain consume the words that she just said. Without a word, I ran outside. I'm barefoot, wearing the same jeans I was wearing when I got home, no jacket or anything else to keep me warm enough.

         When I saw the trashcans outside, they were all empty. My stepmom was leaning by the door, counting the money I just gave her.

"Did I say I threw it there?" She said as she kept counting

         I stopped in midair and looked around me. She pointed across the street. I can see the dumpsters from outside a restaurant.

"In the dumpsters?" I asked

           She smiled.

"Need to go somewhere. Better find it soon." She closed the door behind her and left me there.

          I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Then started walking again towards the dumpsters. I checked all the plastic, opened every thing but it wasn't there. I stood there, staring at the dumpsters. I can't even feel the cold. I'm scared. I'm scared of losing it... Of losing Kaye.