3. The jacket

***Ocean's POV***

       I waited but no letter came, no bottle. Is it because there's no hope? 

What are you staring at now? It's too cold out here.  Aren't you going to work? You might be late again. I'm tired covering for you, stepsister. So, please work harderMy stepbrother asked beside me.

         He patted me on the shoulders and walked away. Covering for me? What an asshole. I cover for him because he is always drunk, he owes the place money everyday. I work at the store by daytime and work as a waitress by night. I work 24/7, even when people go on vacations, I still work.

        If I earned for myself, it would've been enough. But with them, nothing is ever enough. Every penny I earn, they want to get it.

         I walk behind my step brother, just a few steps behind him. That's Michael. He is 3 years older than me. That makes him 27. They have a band called "The twisted" . He is the guitarist and their vocal singer is Jace, my ex-boyfriend.

"Shan! You know it's almost opening time. Almost! You're almost late. What am I gonna with you both? Hurry and work." Charlie, our boss, shouted, the moment we arrived.

"Told yah."
He said and jumped to the stage.

        Charlie is our boss, she runs everything. She is cool, occasionally, she happens to be my Godmother.  As I passed by the stage, I caught Jace staring at me and my brother threw him an angry look. They had this argument when I caught Jamie cheating on me with my step brother's girlfriend.  Small world.

          This is basically my night job. I serve drinks and help out while my step brother and his band sings for them. As I was serving drinks, I saw this one guy at the corner, alone drinking, drowning his sorrows away with a glass of tequila.

       What does he look like? Tall maybe 5'9, slender, blue faded jeans, black shirt with a gray jacket. His hair has color, almost brown, black eyes, white skin, Asian, maybe a Filipino? He definitely looks bored and uninterested about everyone here.

" Hey, here's your drink."  I said as I handed him his drink.

         He took it without looking at me. I know nothing about the person in front of me, all I know, is that, he suffers more than me, at least for now.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

       He stood up, still not looking at me while holding his glass and tried to walk. But I think he had plenty of drinks. When I tried to help him, he spilled his drinks on my shirt.

" come on!  Seriously? I'm trying to help you. I don't even have a spare shirt." I said as I stretched my shirt a bit to see it.

       I was surprised when he grabbed my hand and brought me outside. It's cold out here. I was a bit shivering and was about to complain. But I was surprised, when I looked at him, he was almost too close. I could smell the alcohol coming from his mouth.

     He was too close, almost too close. His lips are red, and he has this beautiful jawline.  I was surprised when he smiled  back and whispered in my ear.

" I'm sorry about your shirt." He whispered softly in my ears.

          I could hear him breathing in my ears, strangely, my heart was beating too fast as well.. What's with this stranger?

          It took me by surprise when he suddenly took off his jacket and placed it on my shoulders.

" it's too cold without your jacket." I protested.