Chapter 8:

I look at Jacob, frowning. Why would he leave? I think it over to myself. He has Alice here, his mate.

Which reminds me, Alice is standing there, staring into the distance, emotionless.

I walk closer to her, wrapping my arms around her. It seems only fair, after all the times she's comforted me that I should comfort her in her time of need.

I never thought I'd need to though, she's always so happy. Yet now, standing here, I could see through the pretense of joy, and in my arms she started to cry.

Not really cry, because vampires can't, but her body shuddered and she let out a wail.

"It's okay." I whisper to her. It's a really stupid lie. Right now, for her, it couldn't be any less okay. Jasper had left; abandoned her. I don't know what I'd do if Jake ever did that... But he wasn't going to. Though, until now, no one ever thought Jasper would either.

After a while, Alice steps out of my arms and whispers "Sorry." Then she runs outside.

No one stops her, I guess she just wants to be alone. We could've gone to comfort her but I don't think any of us knew how to. So we left her.

I look around to see the Cullens have all filled the living room, all except Jasper. I'm not really listening to the conversation and I feel like a child again. When no one would explain to me what was really gong on because they didn't want to scare me.

I think back to some of Emmett's cruel pranks. This can't be real, it must be fake. But it's not. Alice's cries are too fresh in my head and all I can hear are her desperate sobs. He's gone. I tell myself. Really, truely gone.