Chapter 31:

Embry's p.o.v

I watch Renesmee get up, her arms held protectively over her stomach - an old habit she clearly hasn't dropped yet- as she walks to her room.

I turn to Jacob smiling a little.

"Let's go then. We're going to stop by Sue's again then check around la push."

He nods.

"Let's hope we find him..."

We walk out into the forest

You think he left?

Possibly, all this stuff with Nessie must be hard for him.

It's not like Renesmee's leaving, she has it hard too. Even harder.

Why would you say that? I question. Atleast she had you for support. And her family, who did Seth have?

If Seth wasn't such an idiot she wouldn't be in this mess.

You can't just blame him! It's not like she tried to stop him. I argue, Jacob's thoughts were not fair. Renesmee was hardly innocent!

Jacob lets out a little growl.
Don't Embry. She never meant it. It was a mistake.

You really think that? I question. You really think she accidentally slept with him? You don't think she meant it at all? The thought had been going through all our heads, had it been a mistake? Of course she'd say that it was an accident. I just doubted all of it was chance.

What the hell are you talking about?! Jacob protested. She wouldn't do that, Embry.

I sigh, trying to argue with Jacob was pointless. He was already mad and I knew he wouldn't see reason.

I'm just saying that maybe she was interested in Seth. I mean come on, she's only been with one other guy. You. You don't think she'd be interested at all?

No! Jacob snaps.

Why? See reason Jacob! She's beautiful, Seth's not exactly unattractive!

Jacob interrupts. Beautiful? Please keep your thoughts to yourself Embry. He growls.

What I mean is... I sigh Two beautiful people... A beautiful girl is gonna want a beautiful guy.

Renesmee wouldn't be unfaithful! He snaps.

She was.

He growls louder and I feel a hard nudge in my side. Quit it. Jacob snaps at me.

I sigh again. Fine. Just don't blame Seth for all of this, he's had it hard enough watching his daughter die. Feeling so guilty seeing Renesmee getting hurt by what he made. No one to talk to about it. No help.

He didn't need help. Renesmee did.

Clearly he needed help, Jake. He's left.

Not necessarily.

We'll see.

With that we both phased to human and walked up to the door of Sue's place.

After a solid knock on the oak door and some thumbling from inside, Leah opened.

"What do you want?" She asks, her voice impatient.

"Have you seen Seth since last night?" I ask.

She shakes her head "No. Wasn't he meant to be patrolling with you?"

"He didn't come this morning. We haven't seen him..."

She frowns. "I'll come with you to look then."

"We're fine." Jacob cuts in. "We don't need help looking."

She sighs. "He's actually my brother. I'm helping."

She steps out and shuts the front door, walking down into the woods.

Jacob rolls his eyes at me and I grin. We all phase again and start to run along the borders.

Leah growls. I bet it's all the leeches fault.

Jacob growls in response. Don't call her that.

Leah frowns. She is a leech. You fell in love with a leech.

I interrupt before they bite each others heads off. He might not have gone.

He will have. Leah's thoughts are clear.

This isn't her fault. She's already going to blame herself, don't add to it. Jacob snaps.

She's going to blame herself because it is her fault. Leah sighs.

Maybe. But Renesmee didn't want him to leave. She'd rather he was safe. I cut in.

Jacob nods in agreement. She'd never wish harm on anyone...

I frown as I get a whiff of his scent by the border. It smelt recent, like he'd only just been there.

He must have gone over. Leah frowns.

He can't be a wolf though. He must be walking right now, otherwise we'd hear his thoughts.

He's left... Leah repeats, sounding hurt.

We'll get him back. I try to comfort her

I know. She sighs then runs back towards her house.

I look at Jacob. It has to be because of Renesmee. But why so suddenly. After the baby's been born...

Jacob shakes his head. I'm not sure.