Chapter 29:

I walk inside the house, soundlessly shutting the door. From the living room I hear the faint sound of gentle snoring that tells me Billy's fallen asleep infront of the TV. Reassured, I walk up the steps to Jake's room. Typically he's still sleeping, snoring loudly.

I kick off my shoes but I'm too tired to bother with my shorts so I just collapse onto the bed. Jake shifts in his sleep and I feel his arm around me. For a second the conversation with Seth fills my mind and I'm worried, nervous, upset. But after that second I'm too far gone to care. I shut my eyes and fall asleep.

When I open my eyes in the morning the first thing I see is Jacob. His hands are on my shoulders, shaking me awake.

Once he sees my eyes are open he steps back.

"We need to go."

"Huh?" I ask, still mostly asleep.

"We need to go back to your house."

"If this is about dad-"

"This is not about your dad"

The firm tone in his voice tells me he is serious. So I pull the duvet off me and sit up.

"How come you're wearing shorts?" Jake frowns a little.

"Umm." I try to think up a believable lie. I'm awful at lieing though. "I had to go to the toilet in the night. And... When I got back I was too tired to change."

I can tell he doesn't believe me but he must be in a rush because he nods.

Before he can question me further I change into my clothes.

I follow him downstairs and he takes my hand as he opens the door. Outside, the sky's still dark, just becoming light.

"Jake, what time is it?"

I don't think he hears as he walks over to his bike. I run after him.

"We're not running?"

"No, this is faster. Changing takes a while."

I nod and we climb onto the bike. I wrap my arms tightly around his waist, a little nervous. He starts to drive and and we speed down the small roads, past the forest and past the little houses in the town.

The morning air is still cold, despite that it's Summer. It sends goose bumps down my legs and a small shiver through my body. Thankfully Jake doesn't notice, I don't want him worrying about me.

The sun is just beginning to rise from behind the trees; a beautiful golden colour.

We drive down the little road to the Cullens' house and pull up outside. Dad's already stood in the doorway, mum a few steps behind.

Jake gets off the bike and helps me down, wrapping his arm securely around me. It makes me feel at home more than stepping through that front door would.