Chapter 14

When I wake up I feel much worse. If that's possible. Every part of my body aches so much that even to twitch a finger feels like agony.

I look over at Jake and try to smile but even turning the corners of my mouth up hurts. I want to talk to him but speaking is a strain.

Edward tries to smile.

"Let's leave them alone, they need to talk."

I smile gratefully but hear Rose's hiss of complaint

"Rose, I'll be fine." My voice is dry in my throat and comes out as a hoarse whisper, the words cutting my throat as i talk.

She sighs and walks out with the rest of them. Jacob sits down on the floor at the bottom of the sofa, he puts his hand on my forehead.

"Nessie, you're boiling."

I shake my head, trying to push him off. I don't want to talk about how sick I am.

He sighs. "So what did you want to say?"

The subject in my mind makes me smile more.

"I was thinking about names"

He frowns. I know he disapproves of naming 'the monster'

I continue anyway.

"I thought that if he's a boy, Ephriam"

Jacob smiles a little. I hesitate over the next one

"and if she's a girl, Sarah."

Jacob chokes a little. I went too far. Jacob's mother is a touchy subject.

"I'm sorry."

He shakes his head.

"No, it's just a name. And I'm sure it's perfect."

He smiles at me. I see his eyes are a little watery but he's smiling; properly. For the first time in a while.

I guess the thought of his mother has good memories too.

"Ness, you look awful."

He's probably right. I haven't brought myself to look in a mirror for weeks.

"You need to rest."

"But I'm not tired."

It seems like all I ever do is sleep. I don't want to sleep! I feel wide awake for once.

"Please?" He begs and I shake my head. He sighs. "Are you thirsty?"

I hesitate.

"A little."

He nods and calls for Carlisle who walks in with a cup of blood. The scent pulls my lips into a thin smile and the thirst in my throat immediately intenses. I take the cup from Carlisle and nod in thanks.

Jacob watches me as I take a sip of the warm liquid and it soothes my dry throat at once. He hates the vampire side of me but he tries not to show it. I can see it now though. His body's tensed, on edge. And his hands are bunched into fists at his sides.

I ignore him and take another sip of the blood, slowly finishing the cup. Carlisle smiles a little.

"The baby's due in a few days, and if you continue to improve in health at this rate it should go well."

My face lights up and Jacob smiles a little too.

"That's good. Really good." Jacob says.

This is great. Amazing. Like I said, I'll be okay. Why did no one believe me?