Chapter 39:

I catch up to him within a second and smile as I focus on the water again as my target. Jake grins and shoves me suddenly. I stumble and laugh.

"Oi!" I shout and try to catch up.

Realising he already has too big a lead for me to have any chance of winning, I grab a handful of sand and sprint to catch up. He turns around as he reaches the water and chucks his shoes onto the sand, dipping his feet in.

"I win!" He looks at me grinning.

I walk over with what I imagine is a very cheeky grin on my face and wrap my arms around his waist. I slip my hand under the waistband of his trousers then let go of the remaining sand.

His face instantly changes. Half furious, half laughing.

"Did you just-?"

I nod grinning.

"You put sand down my trousers!"

I'm laughing harder than I've laughed in a very long time.

"Sand!" He shouts, the anger half fading from his tone. "Ugh it itches now!" He groans.

"Guess you'll just have to take them off then." I look up at him grinning, a little smirk on my lips.

He chuckles and looks down at me then he wraps his arms around my waist, picking me up and carrying me upside down over his shoulder. I kick out but it's useless as I'm just fighting air.

"Help!" I shout jokingly. "Help."

Jake's carrying me deeper into the water and as I realise what he's about to do I squirm more.

"No, no, no!" I scream as Jacob dunks my head under the cold water. That was a mistake because my mouth is open when I hit the water and I swallow a large mouthful. Jacob let's go of me once my whole body is submerged in the icy liquid. I push myself to the surface as quickly as possible and take a gulp of air. Jacob looks at me, a smug grin on his face. I stare daggers at him.

He chuckles. I swim over to him and stand up again. I reach up on tiptoes and kiss him softly. His lips respond instantly just like I predicted and he's distracted enough for me to push him backwards so he falls into the cold water, arms flailing. I stand there grinning as i wait for him to resurface.

He stands up a second later. "Alright, alright. Truce?"

"Truce." I smile and we shake hands.

We walk back onto the sand and sit down, me resting my head to his shoulder. Then we just talk and it must be for hours because when I look up next the sun is starting to get low in the sky.

My clothes are still damp but almost dry from the warmth of my skin and Jake's combined. I'm hoping, praying he hasn't noticed the time like I have because I don't want to go. I don't want this to end. But he has. He strokes my forehead gently with his thumb, pulling the hair out of my eyes. Then he pushes my head gently away from his shoulder and stands up slowly. I sigh.

"Do we have to go?"

"It's late..."

"I'll text dad and say we're seeing a movie or something..."

He smiles. "Alright..."

I text dad like I said I would and say I'll be back in a couple of hours, switching my phone off before he can protest. Then I slip my phone in my back pocket and stand up, leaning forward to kiss Jacob a little roughly.

"Hey.. Maybe we could go somewhere private?" I suggest. Jacob catches on almost instantly.

"You want to do it here?" He raises his eyebrows.

I nod and kiss him again.

He picks me up and I wrap my legs around his waist as he walks to a little section of the beach hidden by trees. He lies me down on the sand, leaning over me and kissing down my neck softly. I run my hands down his bare back and then our lips touch again.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you too."