Chapter 38:

I open my eyes a few times during the journey, but dad carries me the whole way.

The first time I properly look around is when I'm back home, in my bed, in my room.

Jacob's sat next to me, on top of the sheets holding my hand.

"Hey." He smiles as he sees my eyes open. "Get enough sleep?" He asks, laughing a little.

"I would've slept better if there wasn't a stinky dog right next to me." I grin back then frown as I remember Volterra.

Jake's face immediately changes to one of concern.

"What's wrong?"

"I saw Seth... He was with the Volturi."

"With the Volturi?" He repeats shocked and I nod.

"Why?"

I reach up to stroke his cheek and show him the whole conversation. When I'm finished he leans against the back of the bed frowning.

"I can't believe he's joined them."

"I know... I feel terrible."

I wrap my arms around him and rest my head to his chest, the steady beat of his heart and the warmth of his skin comforting me. We stay like that for a while.

"Want to take a walk? Down to la push?"

I smile a little and nod. He takes my hand and pulls me up. I grab my clothes and pull them on quickly, walking back to Jake and squeezing his hand again.

"Mum, I'm going out for a bit with Jake. I'll be back for dinner."

I don't wait for her reply, I just keep walking to the door. Jake grabs my arm to stop me and I turn, about to snap at him but before I can he lifts me up in his arms then leans down to kiss my lips once.

I shut me eyes and don't protest. It feels nice being babied.

I use the the steady beat of his heart as a guide to the passing time.

I get to about 108 before I give up and just relax. A little later he lays me down on the ground slowly. I stretch my fingers out and feel the soft sand sift through them. I open my eyes and Jacob sits down next to me, staring out at the sea.

The winds blowing strong so that my hairs waving infront of my face, making ripples on the water.

"It's beautiful."

I nod. I try to ignore the fact that my baby's here. My poor little baby...

Jacob's fingers slip between mine and he squeezes my hand. "Race you to the water."

He jumps up, starting to run.

I remember the promise I made him. I said I'd try. So I give myself one second. Then I push myself up off the sand and run after him grinning.