Chapter 19:

Jacobs P.O.V: Earlier

I stumble up the stairs blindly. All I can think of is Jasper finding me in the woods, the memory playing back across my mind.

"Jacob!" He shouted to me quickly. "Hurry, the baby's coming."

And then I ran. Ran all the way here and now, I'm scared.

"Ness!" I call. "I'm here!"

But when I walk into the room I see her unconscious body and run to her, tears in my eyes.

No, she can't be dead. She can't be. I can't even imagine that she doesn't exist any more. The thought is too painful to think, yet alone face.

The gentle rise and fall of her chest tells me she's still breathing but the tension in the room tells me somethings wrong.

I look up into Edwards cold face and still features.

"Wh-"

But before I can ask I see Renesmee's flat stomach and I realise what's wrong.

"Where's the baby?"

Edward looks at me sadly

"She's dead."

The future crosses through my head. A future that will never happen now.

I watch this almost imaginary, non existent figure who I've never seen, grow up and I see her life shape into this path. But then I see death and loss and pain. Sarah. And maybe it's because the idea of loosing this baby brings me back to the pain of loosing mum.

And this grief I feel makes me realise that I did love this baby because I had to love anything she loves. She made it that way.

I watch her stir and her eyes flutter around the room, meeting mine.

"Where-" She spits out and I look down at her, worried.

"Baby." She says again.

I look down at her scared expression and I can't bear to break her heart like this. I can't bear to hurt her that way. I can't tell her.

"Renesmee" I whisper and the tears flow down my cheeks. "I'm so sorry."

I struggle to force the words out of my mouth. Telling myself to lie, not to hurt her. But she needs to know eventually and it's easier now.

"The baby didn't make it."

I watch as her expression fades and the tears filling her eyes fall down her cheeks and she's sobbing.

I pull her tightly into my arms and kiss the top of her head.

"It'll be okay, sweetie. You'll be okay."

And even saying the words I realise I'm lieing.

I don't know if she'll ever be okay. And with the Volturi soon to come? I'm not even sure we'll survive.