Chapter 36:

We arrive in Volterra about a day later. Dad kisses the top of my head and tells me to stay strong, that he's looking after me. Then we walk into the castle. It smells like vampires but then a little odd.

As we walk through the dark corridors I hear footsteps approaching us then two figures in the shadows.

"Demetri, Felix." Dad smiles trying to be friendly but I can feel his body is tense from his grip on my hand.

"It's a pleasure to see you again Edward." One of them chuckles, the taller one. "And your daughter. She's very beautiful."

Edward wraps his arm around me protectively.

"Let's just get this over with." Dad says firmly and the two men, Demetri and Felix turn around leading us somewhere.

We follow them until we stand outside two large wooden doors with elaborate carvings in arches. The smaller man knocks twice on the door and a deep voice calls:

"Open."

Dad told me stories of the Volturi on the way. He described their leader to me, cold, powerful and red-eyed but as I walk through the doors and turn to face him he's so much worse.

A little shiver goes down my spine as I look at him.

I remember him at once.

"Renesmee, why you've grown so much."

I nod, looking down again.

"You understand why you've been summoned here?" The blonde man, Caius asks.

I nod again, not trusting my voice to speak.

"You created a child with a mutt. Where is this child now?"

I tell myself to be strong, not to show weakness.

"Dead." I whimper, shutting my eyes as the pain sinks in. I can't be strong.

Cauis frowns "You still commited an offence."

"I know.. I'm sorry."

"And imagine if the child had survived" He says it as if its a terrible thing. It's not. It's the best thing that could ever happen. "A half-breed would be created. A disgusting half-breed. Worse than yourself."

I let out a soft growl. It's not the insult to me but how dare he call my daughter disgusting!

Dad takes a grip on my arm "Don't." He whispers.

"Well she didn't live, And there wont be another child so I don't see the problem..."

Aro smiles. "As long as we can be sure of that."

I step forward so dad's hand falls away and walk over to Aro, reaching up to touch his cheek.

Then I think of the bad condition I was in and Jacob's concern.

"There's no way Jacob will let me have a child again. He's seen the consequences."

Aro nods.

"We wont be so kind if this happens again. We don't give second chances."

I walk back to dad and Aro nods to dismiss us.

We walk out into the hall but this time the odd smell I smelt before is stronger. It's not odd. It's very familiar. Just out of place here. Wolf.

Wolf? In a castle full of vampires.

"Renesmee?!" A voice calls out shocked.

I recognise that voice.

I look up and there he is. Seth.