Chapter 37:

"Seth!" I call out shocked. "What-What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't stay could I?"

"Why come here?"

"The Volturi always wanted a guard dog." He shrugs. "And it's the last place you'd all look."

"Seth, come back... Please come back."

"How can I come back? Everyone hates me."

"The pack don't. Your sister doesn't. Your mum doesn't."

"Jacob does. You do."

Edward nods at me and squeezes my shoulder gently, whispering to me "I'll be just outside."

I don't really process his movements, I'm too focused on Seth. I step forward and wrap my arms around him tightly.

"I don't hate you. You're my friend. I just don't... I don't love you in that way."

I'm not sure if I'm lieing. I love Jacob, we're soulmates and its not like I'm in love with Seth but I think my feelings for him are a little stronger than I let show.

I mean, I carried his child...

"It sucks being second choice." He wraps his arms around my back and I rest my head to his chest.

"You'll find someone Seth. Someone better than me. But not here."

"I can't go back... Jacob hates me and I... It hurts seeing you with him."

"He doesn't. I can see he's sad his best friend gone."

"I'm not coming Renesmee." He stands stiff, the warmth in his hold gone. I step back.

"I care about you. Isn't that enough?"

"You should go now."

"You're becoming just like them! You're a wolf, Seth! This isn't where you belong!"

"Tell the others I miss them and I'm sorry. Go."

"If I loved you, would you come home?" I look up at him, tears on my cheeks.

"Possibly."

"I love you, as a friend."

"I'm so sorry... " He looks down and walks away.

I stand there, tears rolling down my cheeks and I swear the massive hole in my heart has just been torn open so it's twice as big. I'm bleeding, dieing inside. Except it's not relieving like death would be. An end to the pain. It's the pain of knowing how much longer this agony will last. And even my shuddering sobs can't represent how much it hurts.

It's not just Seth. It's the guilt. All I ever do is hurt people! I wrecked Seth's life, I hurt Jake and my baby died because of me. I'm a terrible person.

I fall down and my knees hit the marble floor. I don't even notice that pain. Dad runs over and picks me up in his arms. I don't feel it; I'm numb. I just watch it happen. I shut my eyes and eventually the pain fades as the blackness takes me.

___
Thank you to @issylovestwilight with ideas for this chapter.
Also, I'm thinking about ending this story in a few chapters and writing a sequel.
I'd love to hear opinions on that.