Chapter 16:

As I walk into the room Nessie's face lights up. Literally. The colours returned to her cheeks and her smile's wider, brighter. I look around the room, mentally searching for Seth and Ness answers my question.

"He went back to La Push, Sam needed him."

I frown at Edward, wondering why Sam would have needed Seth. I make a note to ask him later, when Ness isn't here, but he shakes his head. I guess he doesn't know either.

"Just you and me then?" I grin and she nods, patting the seat next to her.

"Come here." She calls to me so I walk over and sit down next to her. As soon as I sit down she wraps her arm around me.

"Im so lucky... " She whispers. "To have you."

I can't help but chuckle at how wrong she is.

"You are the greatest thing thats ever happened to me. I'm unbelievably lucky to have you."

My words make her smile wider.

"Any other guy would've dumped me by now."

"I imprinted. Not much choice." I chuckle but my words are a little too close to what Ness is feeling and she pulls a hurt face.

"Joking. I'm joking."

I bend down to kiss her softly, trying to emphasise my point and she brings her hands up, to wrap them around my neck. She's so stunningly beautiful...

I realise that this moment got a little intimate and I pull away from her lips, entwining my fingers with hers as I squeeze her hand.

"So beautiful... " I whisper quietly.

"Not half as you."

"Ten billion times more."

She shakes her head and I sigh, bending down to kiss her forehead.

"You tired?"

"A little..."

"Sleep." She frowns. "Please?"

"Fine."

I smile glad she's resting and move off the sofa at her complaint to sit on the floor by her face, watching as she shuts her eyes. Her breathing slows and steadies as she falls into the peaceful rhythm of sleep and the features of her face relax. I kiss her forehead gently before she takes another deep breath and she's gone.

I hold her hand still, running my chubby thumb down her delicate fingers as I think. I wonder about what Sam wanted to talk to Seth about. About whether Renesmee will be okay. About if Seth really loves Ness. And so many more things...

I get up as Seth walks in.

"What happened?" I asked quickly. Seth no longer deserved the stage of hello.

"Sam needs to talk to you. It's easier if he talks to you in person."

I glance back at Ness nervous.

"Its okay, I'll look after her." Seth answers my worries.

But that's part of the problem. I don't want him with her.

But I need to know what's going on. She'll be fine for an hour or two. Especially if Seths looking after her, so I nod.

"La Push." Seth tells me. "He's waiting."

As soon as I step forward he's down by her side. The anger pulses once, quickly through me once I'm outside and I run towards the woods trying to control myself. I decide to phase so I can get there faster and I run the rest of the way to La Push in wolf form. My hard paws hit the rough ground and come up again unharmed as I run.

Sam runs out in wolf form and I scan through the thoughts in his head, long before I can see him.

I see a flash of red coats and the pungent scent of the human killing leeches. None of us are safe. They're scent was far from the border, but leading this way. We'll have a few weeks maybe. How come the psychopath didn't see this? It must not have been the main ones decision. I frown. They must want to surprise us. Whatever the Volturi are here for, it can only mean danger.

_

Seth's P.o.v

-(A while earlier)

As I sit down next to Renesmee she asks.

"Why did Sam want you?"

I shake my head at her but nod a little at Edward making note to talk to them all in a minute.

"Just patrols." I lie.

I'm not sure she believes me but she let's it go. Edward leads the rest of the Cullens out of the living room and upstairs where they speak in muffled, hurried voices which I can't understand. I can guess what they're talking about though.

I sit down and Ness turns to look at me her face turning serious.

"Do you still have feelings for me, Seth?"

I frown.

Oh god. She was so stunningly beautiful and her personality was just perfect in every way. She was kind, caring, funny, thoughtful, creative...

But she was Jake's. That was the problem.

The one night meant so much more to me than it did to her. I know that. But I still hope, half heartedly that she'll choose me.

Though to her, there is no choice. It's Jacob. Only Jacob. I was a one night mistake.

I can't tell her that, because it would hurt her too much.

"No." I answer simply. "It was a one night mistake."

To say those words hurts. Like little spikes in my heart. Tears fill my eyes but I shake my head and look down so my hair covers my face a little.

"Good." She answers, her voice drifting.

I say nothing.

She says nothing.

The process is repeated.

"I need to go upstairs; talk to the others. I'll be back soon." I say, interrupting the silence.

She nods slowly, glad to be rid of the awkward silence between us but too polite to say it.

I get off the couch and walk up the steps upstairs and into a spare room where all the Cullens stand. Carlisle notices my arrival and steps aside opening a place in the group for me.

I smile gratefully at him and look at the expressions around the room. Edward's is calm but anxious, Bella's is worried and scared... They all look much the same, apart from Emmett. He's grinning at the thought of a new battle. But I think even behind that grin he's worried, not about himself but his family.

"The Volturi are coming." I say, unsure what Edward has already said. "We have a week before they'll reach us."

There are murmers in the group.

"But we need to prepare. " Bella says her voice definitely scared. I know hers the best.

"What about Renesmee? The baby might not even be born!" Rose growls softly.

"Whether the baby is born or not she'll still need protection, she's too weak to fight."

That's when I hear a scream from downstairs. It was similar to when the baby broke Bella's ribs but so much more powerful. The sound of it made my blood run cold. It was a sound of sheer and utter terror mixed with cries of excruciating pain. Renesmee.