three • suprises and challenges

After Baekhyun left home, Chanyeol was left in the dressing room with the rest of his new teammates.

He wasn't an idiot.

He knew it would take some time for them to accept him completely. He acted like an ass towards them before, but they were rivals, so that wasn't something unusual.

He was now officially part of their team. A great one, he had to admit. Chanyeol came from a team that didn't have that good players and Jungsan was always considered as one of the powerhouses.

So in orded to make his skills work with theirs, they will have to get along somehow.

"What happened to your captain?" he asked while he packed his equipment in a sports bag.

Minseok stopped in the middle of getting dressed and looked at him, furrowing his brows.

"What do you mean?" he asked as if he had no idea how Baekhyun has become.

"I remember he was all bubbly before. Now he acts like he was sentenced to death or something."

Minseok suddenly looked paler than before, if that was even possible.

"He... Well he, uh..."

"His brother died." Kris cut him off harshly. "Ten months ago."

An uncomfortable silence filled the room. The tension grew, and Chanyeol deeply regret even asking.

"Kyungsoo. Our team's manager." Kris added.

Chanyeol tried to recall Jungsan's team manager from their matches. Then he remembered a boy that Baekhyun was always around, smiling at him after every point or successful serve.

Black haired boy with squishy cheeks and adorable smile, but at the same time when he got angry his glare was more than horrifying.

"Oh." was all Chanyeol said. Now it all made sense.

"And don't you dare pull that subject on him." Kris threatened. "It's too hard for him even without people bothering him about it."

Chanyeol shut up after that. Boys started leaving the dressing room one by one, and suddenly he was alone in it.

He decided to use that time and walk through the hall with Jungsan's trophies and photographs.

There were decades old photographs of Jungsan's first team. Their uniforms were navy blue with turquoise letters and collars from the beginning, with some little changes here and there as the time went by.

He finally found pictures of current team, three years in a row.

On first two photographs Baekhyun had the widest and the most innocent smile in the world.

On the first one his arm was thrown over his brother's shoulder on one side and over their ex captain's on the other.

On the second one Baekhyun looked the same, but this time Kyunsoo was standing and he was among few players who knelt in the front row.

But the third photograph completely stood out. Baekhyun was standing on captain's spot, wearing significant number one on his uniform. But what made that photograph totally different from first two, was lack of Baekhyun's signature smile and his brother standing with the team.

Baekhyun's face was blank, with no emotion attached at all.

Even though he wasn't Chanyeol's favourite person in the world, he some kind of compassion towards the boy. Not only because his brother had died, but because park of Baekhyun's identity died along with him.