special chapter: childhood

Baekhyun smiled as we watched at the blue sky, with only few clouds passing here and there.

It was mid April, and he enjoyed gentle pink petals flowing around him, carried by the wind.

Kyungsoo and him were in Incheon, in their grandparents' backyard. It was a quite big backyard, with fruit trees planted in strict lines. There was a terrace where the family would gather for barbecue, decorated by various pots with aromatic herbs. One old grey cat, named Hami, successfully avoided attacks of playful six months old puppy owned by the brothers. Their parents didn't let them have a dog in Seoul, so their grandparents offered to take care of it for them. They named him Ares, after arguing for three days because Baekhyun wanted to call him Volley.

Everything around 9 year old's life revolved around volleyball.

Even then, while laying on his back and watching the sky, he tossed his precious volleyball up non stop.

While he was doing so, his one year younger brother Kyungsoo was sitting in a chair under one of the trees, with an illustrated children's book of human anatomy in his hands. He was deeply diven into it for more than an hour, and it was starting to annoy hyperactive Baekhyun.

"Soo." he called out, turning his head towards tree shadow where Kyungsoo was and resting the ball against his chest.

After no response was heard from Kyungsoo, he tried again.

"Soooo." he whined, making the latter finally lift his head up. Even though he was a year younger, Kyungsoo acted like an older one between them. He refused to call Baekhyun hyung which the other desired.

"What?"

"Come play with me." Baekhyun leaped up, lifting the ball above his head and stretching.

"You know I can't play volleyball." Kyungsoo sighed, turning Baekhyun's offer down for the hundreth time. He closed his book and placed in on the table.

"But you've never tried for real. C'mon, I can teach you."

"Baekhyun."

"Pleeease? Just once?" Baekhyun pleaded, knowing that he was the only one who could break Kyungsoo's will.

Sighing, Kyungsoo dragged himself over to the sandy part, where the improvised volleyball net was set. Both boys were barefoot, enjoying the sand under their feet and between toes.

Kyungsoo just stood there, looking uninterested.

"Now what?"

Baekhyun spun the ball on his finger and threw it up a couple of times.

"We start from the basics." he said, pulling Kyungsoo by the hand to step closer. "You won't be able to reach me." 

The shorter boy let his brother move him, still having unamused look on his face.

"Okay, now we will just toss to each other for the beginning. You will catch up fast."

Baekhyun threw the ball up a little and then lightly, shaping his palms in a bowl, tossed in Kyungsoo's direction with his fingertips. He could see Kyungsoo's legs nervously moving in expectation, his arms stiffly waiting for the toss to come in unnatural position.

Once the ball reached his hands, Kyungsoo hit it awkwardly with his palms, and the ball went up in totally wrong direction, falling somewhere in between plum tree's branches and getting stuck there.

"Oh, shi- Sorry, Baek, I'll get it down..." once he realized what he had done, Kyungsoo went all red in fear that Baekhyun would attack him for endangering his precious ball. Baekhyun was very overprotective about it and Kyungsoo knew that it was the only thing where he had to know his boundaries, so he was even suprised when Baekhyun offered him to play with it.