seven • you're responding

"Again!"

"Baekhyun, I-"

"Again, Kris!"

Kris dropped the ball in frustration and, acting like a six year old, sat in the floor with his long legs on front of him.

Baekhyun made him stay after their last game that day to practice. While they played earlier, Baekhyun could notice how perfect the tosses he gave to Chanyeol were and how different they were from all the others.

And he just couldn't let that bastard be in advance.

"Baek, I'm exhausted! Can't you see my palms, they're sore!"

"But we need to improve this. Don't you want to be the ace?" Baekhyun squatted next to him.

Kris just gave him another tired look before falling on his back and groaning.

"I think I've already lost that battle." Kris sighed.

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows.

"You two are like some unhuman alien match! I just... In this team, while he's here, I can't be the ace. Everyone can see it."

Kris was one of those realistic people who never dreamed further than he could see himself. If he knew he could do it or that he was better, he would fight for his goal like a lion. But he also knew when to step back because it was out of his league and not worth wasting time and energy.

Baekhyun sat down too, and brough his knees closer to his chest, hugging them.

"But that's why I brought you to practice with me. I'm sure you can do it."

Kris chuckled. "That's very nice of you, Baek, but you too know it won't happen. Thank you for believeing in me, though. I think I've improved a little bit tonight , I'll be ready for all those teams tomorrow." he hit Baekhyun's shoulder lightly, and Baekhyun gave him a small smile.

"We will try you out tomorrow then. I'll try to toss to you more."

Kris played with the one ball, tossing it up to the air and then catching it, while Baekhyun spun the other one between his palms.

"Sometimes I think I'm not a good captain to you guys." he said. "Like I just can't give everyone what they need."

Kris sat up again, looking at him confusedly. He too knew how much his friend had changed, but he was still a great captain with great sense of leadership.

"Baekhyun, you know I don't give compliments around like crazy and I don't like getting emotional and all that shit, but the only thing this team asks from you is yourself and your trust. Even before you became a captain, you could lift up our self-confidence in no time. We need someone who is calm and who can fix the situation like it's nothing, and there's no better person for that in this team than you."

Baekhyun watched silently as Kris' face lightened up as he spoke.

"Byun Baekhyun, you're the best fucking captain we could've asked for."

----

Baekhyun slowly walked back from the gym.

The complex of gyms and camp in general was surrounded with woods, but there were metal fences all around so attendants of the camp couldn't wander around too far away.

Baekhyun remembered all the last times he was there, and once patricular place popped up to his mind.

One path through the woods led towards a hill from where you could see a city below. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo found it while cluelessly walking around, and he never saw anyone else there, so they considered it only theirs for a while.