• twenty six • it comes and goes in waves

Chanyeol couldn't get enough of looking at his newborn nephew.

A baby boy was laying wrapped in a soft blue blanket, sleeping soundlessly. His small chest lifted ever so slightly as he breathed, making Chanyeol sigh at how cute he was every time.

The ace felt as if it was his own child. As if his life got a whole new meaning the same minute that small creature entered this world.

All the plans he had were suddenly too blurry, so blurry that Chanyeol couldn't even see Baekhyun in his head anymore, the one who was the only thing he saw clearly when thinking about his future.

His boyfriend had told him he went out to the roof to get some air, and he hadn't come back ever since.

Five hours had passed without Chanyeol even wondering where Baekhyun was, his nephew being born in meantime, and Baekhyun didn't get to see him.

Now that Chanyeol was slowly coming down off his cloud nine, he was starting to worry.

A memory of Baekhyun wanting to tell him something important right before him mother informed him that Yoora was in hospital passed his mind.

Chanyeol had no idea what it could've been about, but there was something he wanted to confess too.

Now that there was a baby someone had to take care about, he wasn't sure if he should even tell Baekhyun that he got an invitation for a university in United States, because now he was considering to drop it more than to accept it.

He felt awful because no matter how much he loved Baekhyun, the one that played a bigger role in making him stay in Korea was still his nephew, who needed someone to assure him everything a child needed.

Maybe it was better not to tell Baekhyun, and just stay there, find himself a job and forget about volleyball and The States.

Chanyeol grew up too fast anyway, forced to take care of his family at young age.

He had stopped dreaming impossible dreams a long time ago.

***

.

"Hello, Mrs Byun, it's Chanyeol. Is Baekhyun home?" Chanyeol nervously tapped his foot as he sat on the couch with a phone pressed against his ear for God knows what time that day.

"Hello, Chanyeol. I'm sorry honey, Baekhyun is not home right now. Do you want me to tell him you called? He will call you back."

Chanyeol could swear he heard uneasiness in her voice.

He could almost tell she was lying.

"Yeah, that would be great. Thank you, Mrs Byun."

Baekhyun didn't call him that day nor acknowledge all the missed calls Chanyeol had left on his phone.

The next day Chanyeol went personally to his boyfriend's house.

Nobody opened the door.

"I don't get it. He just left that day and I couldn't get to him ever since." he told Yoora one morning while she was rocking the baby in her arms.

Black color of Chanyeol's hair had faded out. He wore the same clothes for past few days and sometimes he would forget what he was doing or were he was, like that morning when Yoora found him sipping milk in his cereals for a whole minute, making it spill down the table without even noticing.

"Maybe he wants to give you time, now that there's been a big change in your life. It usually takes people some time to get into a routine with a baby in the house." she smiled at her son who turned his head as much as he could to look around and absorb every detail in the house.