twenty seven • new me, new you

He heard muffled whispers around him. Not whispers actually, it was shouts and giggles, but somehow very distant...

He saw him again. Jet black hair, smiling at him from the other side of the net, waiting for a serve to come. He had Jungsan practice uniform on, leaned against his knees as drops of sweat slowly dripped from his hair on his shirt.

Baekhyun held the ball firmly in his hands, standing behind the serving line. The ball felt heavy. He couldn't even toss it up, and his legs wouldn't move.

Suddenly he couldn't hear. He saw Chanyeol's lips moving and eyebrows furrowing when the expected toss got delayed for too long. Baekhyun panicked as his body didn't listen and Chanyeol's expression changed from a warm smile to confusion.

"Baekhyun." the voice he heard managed to freeze even the cells in his body. It wasn't Chanyeol.

It was Kyungsoo, standing at the gym door in a hospital gown, barefoot.

Kyungsoo's face was pained with pain, pale like a dead man, arms loosely hanging on his sides.

"Why did you leave me for him?"

Baekhyun's eyes were glued on his brother's ghostly appearance. His fingers hurt from clutching the ball for dear life.

"Soo, I-"

The ball suddenly dropped to the floor.

Everything around him started to stumble down and Kyungsoo kept standing in spot, judging eyes fixed on Baekhyun.

Everything but him moved, and he wanted to run, but he still couldn't make a single step. The voices were getting louder and in a blink of and eye Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were both gone.

"Baekhyun!"

"Idiot, wake up!"

Baekhyun's eyes slowly fluttered open, his two teammates getting into his sight, Namjoon with annoyed expression and Hoseok grinning with a straw stuck between his teeth and a (probably empty) Starbucks cup in his hand.

"Will you ever go through a class without falling asleep? I still wonder how someone like you could've had top grades in high school." he huffed, pulling Baekhyun up by his collar.

"What time is it?" Baekhyun mumbled, rubbing his eyes.

"4:30. The practice is in half an hour." Namjoon said.

"Shit." Baekhyun cursed, suddenly wide awake, jumping of his seat. As he grabbed his things and stuffed them inside the bag he noticed the classroom was already empty, with an exception of his two friends standing beside him, one utterly dissapointed for nth time and the other very amused.

Two boys from Busan were first friends he made when he came to The States. He could swear that Namjoon was the smartest person he had ever met. He majored in experimental physics and volleyball was his way to get the stress out. He was scarily good in that too, playing middle blocker. When he saw him playing for the first time, Baekhyun was thankful that he wasn't on the opposite side of the net from him. Namjoon and Hoseok attended English together with him. Hoseok, on the other hand,majored in Music, composition.

They were all completely different, but still, Baekhyun felt comfortable with them. They reminded him of his former teammates. They felt like home.

Three of them hurried back to the dorms, separating when two boys entered their room on second floor, and Baekhyun hurried up to third.

When he unlocked the door, he wasn't suprised to find his roommate sleeping lifelessly on the bottom bunk.

Jackson Wang was a swimmer and his practice was usually before Baekhyun's, so by the time Baekhyun would get back to change, the other would already be passed out on the bed.