twelve • the party

"My... Guest?" Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows.

"Oh, I forgot to let you know earlier, I was busy with groceries and the cookies... The school counselor is here to see you."

"Did she tell you why?" Baekhyun dropped his backpack on the ground and took of his jacket.

"No, she said she wanted to wait for you."

Baekhyun walked in the living room, where Mrs. Kim was sitting on the sofa across his father.

She looked the same as ever. Actually, none of the students knew how old she was, but she was definitely older than Baekhyun's mother, who was 41. Her dark hair with white strands here and there was put neatly in a bun, and she was wearing her recognizable red skirt and a cardigan.

"Welcome back, son." his dad greeted him and Mrs. Kim turned around to welcome Baekhyun with a warm smile. Even though she had strict hairstyle and clothes, she was the most attentive person Baekhyun knew.

She was just what a school counselor should be like. She cared for students, talked to them and did her best to solve their problems. Many times she provided assistance to Baekhyun with applying to camps, organizing transportation or ordering new uniforms. There are many things he couldn't do without her help.

"Baekhyun, darling!" she pulled him into even tighter hug than his mother gave him. He almost choked on her too strong parfume and coughed when she let him go.

"How was the camp?"

All the events from the camp passed through his head in a flash. Practicing his tosses and serves, losing almost every set they had played, the team improving their attacks, losing to Bangwong, almost getting raped, bonding with Chanyeol and Chanyeol holding his hand gently like a feather.

"Good."

"That's great, that's great. But I'm here to talk to you about something else." her voice got more serious tone.

Baekhyun's mother sat next to his father, both anticipating what the school concelar had to say to their son.

"Harvard University from United States offers scholarships to international students who have accomplished excellent results in school, different competitions in sciences and in sports. Their legate is coming to Seoul sometime after Christmas to have an interview with Seoul's top students to offer them a spot and a scholarship on their university."

Baekhyun saw his mother's eyes sparkle from pride, but in Baekhyun's chest, he felt like his heart was going to jump out.

"You are the top student in our school, Baekhyun. Your grades are flawless, if I'm not wrong you took first place in both maths and chemistry regional competitions last year, and you have everything needed to be a professional athlete. I don't know much about volleyball, but coach Lee told me that your talent is not something you don't see every day." She smiled.

"I don't plan on playing volleyball after high school. I have a injury that could lead to more serious problems, and I have ambitions to do something else anyway." Baekhyun cut off her speech before she got too far. He somehow managed to still think straight even though everything she had said sounded crazy to him, and he couldn't believe that it was actually happening.

Harvard.

A place where both him and Kyungsoo dreamed to study.

In his mind he could already picture perfect college life in United States, spending time in libraries, making new friends, starting a new life. He had imagined all those things with Kyungsoo before, and now, without him in the picture, it suddenly didn't feel that exciting.