twenty five • a choice

The hospital where Yoora was about to give birth just happened to be the last hospital Baekhyun had visited exactly one year and five months ago. Not only visited, but spent weeks in it. Wandered around, stared at yellowish wall behind his brother's bed for hours, memorized every detail of the window view from his room, walked the halls at 3 am. over and over again, cried and broke down in it's toilets.

He remembered the smell of the hospital clearly, and it made his stomach twist and turn.

He felt like throwing up. He hoped he would nevera have to step his foot inside of it again.

But he sat into a cab with Chanyeol without even proceeding what was going on, the other male squeezing his hand during the whole ride until it went pale and his blood stopped circulating. Chanyeol stared at the road with nervous look like he could speed the ride up that way and Baekhyun said nothing to him because he didn't know what to say.

He was confused and being dragged into something he knew would trigger emotions he hoped he had burried down.

When they rushed inside the receptionist directed them to the labor department. They didn't lose a single second before rushing there, getting lost a few times along the way because even Baekhyun didn't know all the departments in the hospital. The one he stuck around in was oncology department. Unlike the one they were heading to, that one was grey and gloomy. It felt like death lingered in the air.

Chanyeol's mom was already in the waiting room, with messy hair, slip-ons and worried expression on her face.

"Chanyeol!" she called out, rushing to hug her tall son.

It was Baekhyun's first time that he saw her. She was significally shorter than Chanyeol, even than Baekhyun. Her hair was dark just like Yoora's and Chanyeol's on his childhood pictures, and those two shared the same eyes, big and curious. Her figure was leaned from physical work, making her look much older than she really was.

"How long she's been in there?" Chanyeol asked, moving away from his mother and staring at the labor door.

"Around 2 hours. I didn't want to call you earlier because I didn't know when your match was ending."

"I wouldn't mind if you did. We won, by the way. We are national champions, mom."

Mrs Park's eyes widened as she stood on her tip toes to hug her tall son around his neck once again.

"That's wonderful, Chanyeol! Congratulations!"

"Mom, you're choking me!" Chanyeol chuckled. "It's all thanks to that guy over there, anyways." Chanyeol smiled, finally looking back at Baekhyun who stood there frozen during the whole encounter.

"Mom, meet Baekhyun, my boyfriend." Chanyeol's gentle gaze was on Baekhyun as he pulled him by the hand and then put his arm around his waist.

"I've heard much about you, Baekhyun." Mrs Park smiled genuinely, taking both Baekhyun's hands in hers and rubbing them in a comforting manner.

"I'm glad my son has someone like you by his side."

Baekhyun's heart was breaking.

Both Yoora and Mrs Park believed he was good for Chanyeol. They wanted Baekhyun to stay by his side, they were sure Baekhyun loved him and Chanyeol loved Baekhyun.

Baekhyun just smiled in return, nodding his head.

"I'm the one more happy to have him by my side."

He said those words out loud, he kept promising what he couldn't keep, because he too was a coward.

Later on Baekhyun excused himself to go and get some fresh air. He wanted to give Chanyeol and his mom some time alone.