twenty eight • broken promises

A/N: I bet y'all didn't expect this

--

The whistle blow echoed through the noise and the game started.

As always, Baekhyun was put in the back, in the middle of the court.

Chanyeol stood right behind the net, at the front middle position.

The question was why.

Why did Chanyeol decide to come? Why couldn't he let him try to forget, try to live a new life where no one knew him, to try to stop loving him?

Except for his fiery red hair, Chanyeol's appearance hasn't changed much. But something else, something in the way he looked at Baekhyun was different. There was that initial cockiness, the same attitude the taller had that night when he appeared in the gym and watched Baekhyun practice his serves on and on repeatedly.

He couldn't help his racing heart inside his chest. It was so wrong.

"Byun!" he heard someone, possibly James, and in an instant, his fingers reacted, eyes scanning the area and spotting Luke, to whom he tossed.

Luke slammed the ball against the court with a victorious shout.

"Good job, Byun." James, the team's libero, tapped his back.

The game went on, and before he knew it, Baekhyun was facing the net on the middle position. Chanyeol took the same position on the opposite side, replacing their libero who left the court.

He couldn't help it. Neither could Chanyeol.

They stared at each other's eyes for what seemed like ages, and Baekhyun tried to read what his were saying.

He definitely didn't expect his voice to be so soft and to feel like home when he spoke.

"Hi, baby."

Not Byun, Baek, nor captain.

Baby.

Just how he used to whisper.

"Promise me that. Promise me that whatever happens next, you won't give up on me."

"I promise. No matter what, you will never get rid of me."

Wherever I go, please, don't give up on me.

The promise he asked of Chanyeol rang in his ears as he looked at him, lips apart but unable to answer.

Baekhyun was the one who broke it. Not Chanyeol.

Chanyeol's lips tugged into a small smile full of regret before the whistle went off and Baekhyun turned his back to him, because the serve was coming from Boston's side.

He couldn't let Chanyeol confuse him. Not now.

Chanyeol was equally scary on the other side of the net as he was as a teammate, and it was hard for Baekhyun to look at him as a rival. To use everything he knew about the way Chanyeol played against him.

Baekhyun played seriously. He blocked Chanyeol's spikes because he knew their course, he could read every single one.

Yet again, Chanyeol didn't seem to mind. He seemed to focus more on Baekhyun than the game itself, and that's what confused Baekhyun the most.

It was the hardest game he had ever played.

Bit technically, because Boston was weaker than them. What killed him were his constant thoughts, stolen glances and racing heart.