eleven • what's a soulmate?

"Soo?" Baekhyun called his brother, who was laying next to him on soft grass on the summer night.

They were on their hill, gazing at the stars after a long and tiring day they had spent at the gym. They both loved summer camps the most just because of the stars and how mesmerizing they were.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think that everyone has a soulmate?" Baekhyun asked.

"Hm." Kyungsoo took some time to think about that matter before giving him a proper answer.

He always did that, whether Baekhyun was asking what he was going to cook for dinner or who was the best wing spiker in his opinion.

"I think that we all have a soulmate. And I believe we all meet them somehow and somewhere during our lives. But you know, it's important to recognize them."

"But how do you recognize them? What if you think that someone's your soulmate and in few years you realise they're not?"

"It takes time to recognize them. But you'll be sure if that's the person you would give your everything and they would give their everything to you. If that love is not selfish. Because you know, a Greek legends says that Zeus made a human with two faces and double arms and all, and he was afraid that the human could become too powerful and tear him down. So he separated the human in two pieces, sentencing him to search for his other half for the rest of his life."

Baekhyun was always amazed by how clever his brother was. Ever since theu were children, Kyungsoo was the one who told him all those stories that Baekhyun would remember by heart. He could swear Kyungsoo knew all Greek Gods and their Roman forms, he basically slept with a book underneath his pillow.

"Soulmates joined together are so strong that even Zeus feared them. If you ever find your soulmate, Baek, don't you think you would feel a connection that strong? And you know that it's your soulmate because he's basically a part of you. You would feel whole."

Baekhyun looked at him as Kyungsoo was speaking. The stars reflected in his eyes, and Baekhyun wondered if Kyungsoo would find his soulmate soon too.

"That... sounds beautiful."

----

Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn't talk at all before reaching the place Baekhyun wanted to show him.

He helped Chanyeol climb up, telling him where to step and how to get through those branchy trees. Of course it was easier for Baekhyun, who was at least 10 cm shorter.

"Wow." Chanyeol gasped when his eyes met the view below them.

The city looked beautiful as ever, and Baekhyun thought how he could never get tired of it.

They sat under that tree Baekhyun would always sit under, leaving a small gap between them.

"I used to come here with Kyungsoo." Baekhyun said, staring at some imaginary spot in the distance.

"It's nice." Chanyeol confirmed, and after that, there was silence. But not the uncomfortable one, though. It was filled with their thoughts, like the one with your best friend, when you can just sit together and do nothing but it still matters because you are spending time together.

"Kyungsoo was one of the smartest people I knew. You'd think that too if you knew him. But I was never worried about being less loved or being in his shadow, because he always made sure to overreact in complimenting me. He always told me what a genius I am in volleyball and that stuff. He sucked at it but he knew everything about it in theory and all about strategizing and attacks, so he became Jungsan's manager to use that knowledge."