twenty four • ethereal

Baekhyun had a wierd dream that night.

In his dream Kyungsoo was still alive.

They were on Harvard, together. Kyungsoo came to see his match.

The dream seemed perfect. Baekhyun pursued his dream, and Kyungsoo his.

But seeing Kyungsoo sitting among the crowd and waving cheerfully at him, Baekhyun couldn't help but feel something was wrong. Something was missing.

He played the match but the tosses he sent weren't right. The spikers were all wrong: timing too late, spikes imprecise.

"Where is he?" he asked out loud. His teammates gave him confused looks.

"Who?"

Baekhyun stopped. Who was he looking for? He knew someone wasn't there. Someone he needed. But... Who?

"Him. The- the ace." maybe that was it, he thought. The ace wasn't there.

"I'm here." one of the boys said, looking at him as if trying to figure out if he was serious.

"No." Baekhyun whispered, looking around manically. "You're not him."

His name... What is his name?

Why can't I remember?

Why isn't he here?

Why do I need him so bad?

Kyungsoo's voice was somewhere behind him, but he couldn't hear it.

He didn't even realize he was on his knees, and the floor started to open up under him, sucking him in the dark, deep abbys...

Baekhyun's breath was back to his lungs when his eyes opened swiftly. He sat up despite a headache and darkness that hit his eyes, gasping for air.

It was just a dream.

He breathed in, letting out a shaky gasp.

Thank God.

His hand fell on a leg of the sleeping boy beside him. He looked down at Chanyeol, whose arms kept the position of holding Baekhyun's body. Baekhyun knew Chanyeol stayed awake watching over him, just to make sure he slept well.

He leaned over and brushed a strand of hair off Chanyeol's forehead, careful not to wake the sleepy boy up.

Waking up didn't make his anxiety go away, nevertheless, it was even worse.

In his dream Kyungsoo was there, and Chanyeol wasn't. Why did he feel so relieved to realize it was a dream? Why didn't he feel happy that his brother was back even if that meant losing Chanyeol.