Chapter 34

~

~

"I'd like to propose a toast." Jughead started, we were all sitting in the living room, listening to the crackling of the warm fire in the background. A fur blanket was placed over my lap while one of Veronica's famous drinks was held in my hand "To the Lodges, to their hospitality, and to putting the past behind us."

"Cheers." Veronica said as she smiled at Jughead, we all followed what she said and clanked our drinks together before taking a sip. Jughead sat back down next to me and grabbed onto my free hand "So, do your parents come up here a lot these days, Veronica?" He asked while looking over at her.

"Not as much as they'd like." Ronnie responded "Daddy's such a workaholic, ya, know."

"On the SoDale project?" Jughead asked making Veronica nod her head. "How is that going? Is it heating up? Is it getting intense?"

"It is." Veronica nodded "Luckily, Archie's dad is doing a superb job of keeping everything on schedule."

Betty nudged me as she gave me a look, I sighed before speaking up since Betty obviously didn't want to. "Ronnie, tell us more about your very fancy neighbors." Ronnie laughed, with a grin on her face.

"Yeah, are they in the same business as your dad?" Jughead asked, I sighed. Jughead was never going to stop trying to get information on Hiram Lodge.

"Jughead." Betty whispered over my shoulder to make him shut up, Jerome placed a hand on her shoulder to pull her away. "I mean it." She whispered again, I already knew that Betty warned him to be good on this trip and not to ask to many questions about Ronnie's father.

"Guys, what's up?" Archie asked looking at the three of us, well four of us if you counted Jerome who was just minding his own business and sipping on his drink.

"Betty, I'm just trying to idle a conversation." Jughead replied as he looked over at the blonde "I'm sorry, please continue." He looked back over at Veronica.

Archie caught my gaze, curiosity was evident in his eyes, but before I could keep looking for more emotions he looked away from me, but I still managed to see, Guilt in there too.

"It's a hodgepodge, really. Some are in entertainment, some are in business, some are in real estate." Veronica responded.

"You know what's weird?" Jughead said while he leaned back into the couch "I noticed that none of the houses have mail boxes or numbers on them, why's that?"

"Shadow Lake is a pretty privet community." She responded, looking at Jughead with a certain emotion.

"Like there hiding something?" He asked, taking a sip from his drink.