Chapter 52

~

~

On the eve of the debate, as Archie Andrews goes door-to-door. He doesn't mention the murder of his classmate Midge Klump. Most people believe Midge was murdered by someone else. But not Archie. He was certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the Black Hood was back. As was his next-door neighbor Juliet Cooper. Who had, in fact, laid eyes on the Black Hood, and suspected he was much closer.

"Penny for your thoughts, hon?" Hal asked as he looked over at Juliet who was deep in thought, she tore her eyes away from the food that was in front of her to look up at him. "I was thinking he was a test." She responded timidly.

Betty furrowed her brows as she looked up from the Notebook she was writing in, Juliet caught her gaze as she smiled shyly at her. "Who was?" Betty asked even though she already had an idea on who Juliet was talking about.

"The imposter, Chic." Juliet replied "Everything that he did to us and brought to us was kind of a test. We survived and we're stronger for it."

"Well, that remains to be seen." Alice added, a small sigh leaving her throat as she rested her head on the back of her hand.

"No, mom, we are." Betty nodded, smiling brightly.

"Betty's right." Juliet responded "We'll survive whatever comes next."

Hal nodded his head gently at the redhead sitting in front of him, giving her a small smile as she gave him a fake one back.
.
.
.
"Any word from chic?" Jughead asked as he and Juliet walked side by side down the street, a simple black umbrella clutched in the redheads hand as rain fell from the cloudy sky. "No, he hasn't called since I dropped him off at the bus station, so, who knows? Maybe he's gone for good."

Jughead turned his head slightly to look at his girlfriend who was seemingly acting differently, her posture more tense as she held his hand loosely. She didn't even bother to look at him as she bit her lip harshly, she knew she had to tell Jughead about the kiss Chic had lay upon her before his game of chase with the Black Hood.

"Silver lining to all this Chic stuff over the last weekend is, that's as bad as it gets, Juliet. It can't get worse. How could it?" Jughead said in a calm voice.

"Chic kissed me the night I took him to the station." Juliet blurted out as she stopped walking, Jughead doing the same as he turned to look at her with wide eyes. "What?!" He nearly yelled, anger lacing his voice.

"I didn't have time to react, Jug." Juliet confessed "The bus pulled up and before he got on he turned around and crashed his lips to mine before pulling away and leaving."

Jughead didn't say anything for a few seconds, he tried wrapping his head around what she was saying and later nodded his head, taking deep breaths as he calmed himself down. "Okay, it's not like you responded to the kiss or wanted it to happen, right?"

"Ew, no." Juliet cringed as she tightened her grip on his hand "I would never kiss that imposter willingly, that would be horrible."

"Okay, good." Jughead leaned forward and placed his lips gently onto Juliet's as she sighed in content before they both pulled away and continued to walk towards school.
.
.
.
"There's no one else I can talk to." Juliet crossed her arms as she stared at Cheryl who was stood in front of her. "No one else who might understand what I'm going through."

"Dear best friend, you look harrowed. What is it?" Cheryl asked with concern as she looked at Juliet.

"Cheryl." Juliet said as she bit her lip "Before you saw the video of your dad shooting Jason, did you know that he was the murderer?"

"Subconsciously, Yes." Cheryl nodded while crossing her arms "Why do you ask?"

"I think there's a chance that Hal, that somehow he might be the Black Hood." Juliet confessed in almost a whisper, watching as her friends expression turned confused. "Oh, oh, Julie, I don't know." Cheryl shook her head gently. "I've seen him sneak around Thistlehouse, and he has all the stealth of a Marshmallow Man. Wherefore comes to this accusation?"

"Intuition." Juliet sighed "I don't want him to be the murder, It would destroy our lives even more, but I don't know, I can feel it in my bones."

"Why haven't you told Betty about this?" Cheryl asked, tilting her head slightly.

"I don't want her to be worried." Juliet replied softly "Just Incase I'm wrong."

"Okay, If you're coming to me for advice, Fine." Cheryl sighed "Let's get you to the Po-Po. Maybe this new Sheriff has half a brain."

"No, no, not yet." Juliet shook her head, she didn't need the police involved, not until she was sure it was Hal. "I need to be sure before I involve anyone else, also I know it's hard explain, but if Hal is the Black Hood, I need to be the one who confronts him, who stops him."

"In that case, absorb my hard-learned advice. You need concrete proof or a confession or both, buy yourself some time while you investigate, that means pretending everything is normal."

"Well, that's my specialty." Juliet chucked with no amusement.

"You're playing a very dangerous game, Juliet Cooper." Cheryl exclaimed.

"I guess it's a game I'm willing to play."
.
.
.
Juliet raised the cup of tea to her lips as she took a small sip, Betty was sat across from her as she sipped on some orange juice. Hal and Alice were sitting on the ends of the table, eating the food that was prepared by Juliet and Alice.

"So, I've been thinking." Juliet started to speak as she placed the cup back down onto the table. "Dad, you've been so busy at the Register lately, maybe mom should go back to work, I mean, she's moderating the debate, why not report on it, as well?"

"That's a great idea!" Betty exclaimed, nodding her head, smiling over at her mother.

"Yeah, I suppose it's not a terrible idea." Alice smiled.

"Oh and Juliet and I could help out after school." Betty added, Juliet nearly smirked as she realized that Betty was making this plan so much easier for her.

"Yeah, we could help with proofing and layout." Juliet nodded her head with a wide fake smile placed onto her lips.

"My three best girls back at the Register?" Hal asked with a smile on his face, Juliet smiled back at him while nodding her head.

This plan would probably work better than she actually planned.

Authors Note,
Whatcha think?
~Robyn