The Woods

*NOT EDITED*

Since the ceremony was over, it was expected of me and some of the teenagers in the pack to help clean up. I didn't really mind, at this point I needed a distraction from the swarming thoughts about my mate and why I haven't found him yet. To be quite honest I was overreacting a little bit about the whole mate thing, considering that I have only turned 18 a few months ago and that most people find their mates a couple of years after they turn 18.

Generally, the way people find their mates is one of three ways. One way, which is honestly the easiest way, is that both mates are in the same pack. So, when one of them turns 18, he/she can recognize the mate's scent and inform them. Another way, is completely coincidental, in which two mates find each other when one of them has traveled to a pack for a visit or on business. The probability of that is pretty low, since most visits to other packs are planned and those that do visit are often mated alphas and lunas. If an unmated rogue ever stepped foot on pack lands, they were most likely killed on the spot, or taken to the pack dungeon. So, having a rogue mate was pretty rare too. The third way is during the Full Moon Nights. Contrary to what they sound like, the Full Moon Nights aren't only nights when there is a full moon. They are a period of time, usually a month or two, in which packs with unmated members visit other packs in hopes of meeting their mates. The way it is done is that some packs agree to travel to the other packs, and some agree to host the Full Moon Nights Ceremonies. During these ceremonies, mates that find each other can either stay together at the hosting pack or travel back home with their newly-found mates. Even though it sounds complicated, alphas all over the world have worked out a schedule so that all the packs have an equal chance of meeting all eligible unmated members. This year, the Mystic Pack were one of the traveling packs, so I was supposed to go with them. However, since I was still going to school, my over protective parents agreed that I will not be missing any school, and instead I will get my high school degree, making me unable to meet my mate this year. They said that there is no rush and that I should focus on my education first before focusing on any boys. But, then again, they were mates from the same pack, and they didn't understand my struggle of wanting to find my mate. Deep down, I know that they just want more time with me, but it simply wasn't fair.

We had finally finished cleaning up the commons, and I was going to head home, when I saw Jamie, the seven-year-old menace head towards the woods. He knew he wasn't supposed to go there, especially at night. Nobody seemed to notice that he was heading away from the group, so I had no other choice but to bring him back. "Jamie, get back here!" I hollered. However, at this point, I can barely make him out in the dark, and my eyes were only trailing a slowly disappearing figure. "Jamie, please come back, you can get hurt." I said, starting to freak out. Granted, this boy had never listened to a word I said, I have no idea while he will listen to me now. 

"Oh God, Corrine go tell Jamie's mother that he was heading towards the woods, I will follow him and try to bring him back." I ordered, beginning to head in his direction. We had a few pack warriors on patrol, so I know I should have left the job to them, but I didn't want Jamie's stupid actions to distract the pack warriors from maintaining the pack's safety. 

"Come on Jamie! Please, it is dark and who knows what's out there. You don't want any monsters coming out to get you, do you?" I said. Now, I know that I was trying to freak the kid out and make him come back, but for some reason I scared myself and now I had a bunch of goosebumps all over my skin. Don't get me wrong, I know monsters aren't real, but if werewolves are, who knows what else loves to lurk in the darkness of the night. 

"Jamie, please, what are you doing out here anyway? You know if you lost a toy, we can just look for it tomorrow, okay?" At this point, I knew that I must have looked like an idiot talking to herself. I was on my own, in the dark, talking to a little boy named Jamie, who is nowhere in sight. It had suddenly dawned on me that it wasn't Jamie I should only be worried about. As I looked around, hardly recognizing my surroundings, I realized that I was completely lost without my phone.  

Please comment, vote, and share. I really appreciate it!