Betrayal

*NOT EDITED*

Even though it had been about a week since Axel told me about his and his late dad's grand plan to abolish the Lunar Trials, it would not leave my mind. Apparently, even though he is working on his "project" now, it won't be done by the time that I have to do the Trials. However, if I get a son, his mate wouldn't have to go through this, which brings me a lot of joy.

"Hey Cal, how are you feeling?" I heard Mason say as he approached me, snatching me away from my thoughts.

"I'm feeling a lot better. My heat is finally over, and it feels liberating!" I whispered excitedly.

"Are you sure you should be on that ladder hanging those lights? Your body is a little weak after your heat." I didn't want him to be concerned for me. After all, I am feeling better, and while being in heat sucked, I can't deny that it didn't bring me emotionally closer to Axel.

"Don't worry about it, Mason! And I really want to be out here decorating for the ball. It is happening tomorrow, and I want to personally make sure that everything is perfect!"

"Maybe you should do something a little less strenuous," he advised.

"Jesus, Mason, why are you so worried about Calista? I am sure she will be fine," Jade's nasty voice rang in my ears. Great, she's here. I think the one thing I enjoyed about my heat was not having to deal with her.

"You know, Jade has a point, you have been completely MIA this last week, while we were working on setting up for this ball," Serena chided in. I guess they had a point. They were preparing an event for about 3000 guests, and they didn't have an explanation as to why I wasn't helping out, even though it was my idea to begin with.

"I am so sorry girls," I earnestly apologized, "I know that you have been working really hard on this, but I was not feeling well at all, and I had to take a personal break. But now, I am here, and I am willing to make up for it." I looked down from my ladder, seeing Jace, Satan's spawn Jade, Serena, and Daphne looking up at me.

"Well, you really are making up for it. The lights on this gazebo are looking amazing! I can just picture it in my head: the night is midnight black, and the stars are beautifully scattered in the sky. The orchestra is playing something soft, romantic. Then Alpha Axel whisks me here, and the moonlight is shining on his perfect face. These lights are making my dress sparkle. Then, holds me and kisses me like no tomorrow!" Daphne gushed. Wow! Tone it down a bit will ya? He is my mate!

"I doubt that is going to happen Daph," Serena insightfully said, drawing Daphne back to reality. "I heard that he found his mate. There are rumors going around the pack saying that this was why nobody saw even a glimpse of him over the past week. Actually, Calista, that is so weird. You were away for a week and so was Axel. Is there anything we should know?"

I grew flustered, trying to say something. Quickly looking down at them, I lost my balance and my leg slipped off the step of the ladder. It felt like I was falling forever, until strong arms held me in place. I didn't realize that my eyes were squeezed so shut, that when I opened them, I saw Jace's unimpressed eyes staring down at me.

"Oh God! Calista are you alright?" Mason hurriedly said.

"Yep, Jace caught me. I am perfectly fine," I answered. Well, not perfectly. How was I supposed to keep these rumors from circulating? I don't know what Axel's plan regarding telling the pack about me is.

"Maybe you guys should go get something done," Mason addressed Daphne, Serena, and Jade, leading them away from Jace and I.

"Thanks, for catching me," I sincerely thanked him.