Accept the Loss

*NOT EDITED*

I looked at Mason, urging him to tell me what was happening. Mason and Tyler just exchanged a worried look and Tyler said, "When a Blood Venom Alpha is no longer capable of holding his Alpha duties, it is possible that he can be challenged by anyone in the pack. Normally, the Council picks or supports the challenger."

"So?" I countered, "Axel is the strongest guy I know, he can win even if he were challenged." And here I thought it would be something worrying. 

"Not currently," Mason refuted, "He has more alcohol than blood coursing through his veins right now. The mate bond is screwing with him like never before, and I think he has given up hope. He is not fit to fight someone for the position. And, if he ends up being challenged, his Alpha ego won't let him submit and accept the loss. So, the challenger will most likely kill him to claim himself as the new Alpha."

"So, this isn't about him not being Alpha, this is about him dying." I said, my voice low, my fingernails drawing blood out of my palms as I clenched my hands tightly. Is this my fault? Would things have been different if I had stayed and talked this out with Axel? Would the ending of our story be like this? 

"I need to go back. I need to see him." I rose out of my seat, ready to leave. My whole body was shaking. I wasn't sure if it was from anger or fear or sadness. But every muscle in my body was spasming and I couldn't control it. I had to see him. My mate needs me, even if he didn't want me. I tried leaving the room, grabbing the car keys on my way, but another hand was quicker and grabbed the keys before I could. 

"Easy, Callista, we'll let you go but, it would be easier to just give Axel a call and tell him you're here. Maybe he will get his shit together or come get you himself. And trust me, you might want to  stay away from an extremely angry alpha," Tyler said as he dragged me back to the couch and seated me.

"Ty, why didn't you call Ax and tell him that she's here? You could have saved us so much trouble," Mason reprimanded.

"She made me promise not to tell Axel. Honestly, I wanted to get back at him for being such a jackass to me, but I couldn't keep this from him. After a few days, I realized that this was a bad idea, and left Jace a phone message. He should have listened to it by now," Tyler explained.

A part of me was very upset that Tyler lied to me after I trusted him, but seeing the aftermath of everything, I was starting to see how selfish I was. Maybe I brought this whole thing onto myself. Maybe I shouldn't have left. Maybe if I worked a little harder, I could have won the Trials. I am to blame for all of this. If it weren't for me, Axel's life wouldn't be in danger now.

"Well shit, Jace is in the cells. Obviously, he has no access to a phone or service down there," Mason groaned out, releasing a frustrated sigh and pulling at his hair.

"What the fuck is going on in Axel's head? He kicks you out, so now the pack has no Beta, and puts his Gamma in the dungeon. Jesus Christ!" Tyler yells, running his hands through his hair.

"Actually, that wasn't Axel's fault. When Jace found out what the Council did and how they screwed with the Trials, he killed Council Leader Darren, and was about to kill William as well. He was then taken to the cells by the Council's orders," Mason informed us.

So much has happened since I left. Just a few days of me being gone and the most powerful pack in the nation has no gamma, no beta, and a virtually useless alpha. As relieved as I was that Darren is dead, I was just as anxious to know what is in store for Jace? I never thought of him as a friend, but he always seemed to have his Alpha's interest in mind. And Jace killed a man who wronged me. That's got to mean something. But, will he be killed as punishment?

"Way to go, Jace. Finally, the fucker is dead, and I'm assuming that Jace will be okay as long as Axel is Alpha, right?" Tyler says.

"Yeah, but at the rate that everything is happening, I don't know how long Axel is going to stay Alpha. Members of the Council are angry, and they would want Jace to face repercussions. At the very best, Jace will lose his position as Gamma," Mason admitted.

I was trying my best to absorb everything. There was no way I could have anticipated this would happen—not after Axel had told me that he was going to reject me. But, it was amazing to see the lengths that these guys will go for Axel. Why would they kill for him? Was Axel a good guy, and I missed it? Was I acting like a snobby princess who thought she was higher than everyone? Was I too hard on Axel? Or was this all because Axel's wolf is stronger than theirs and demanded their respect without love? 

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard Gwen's heels clacking on the hardwood stairs.

"Victoria filled me in on the latest news in Blood Venom," Gwen told us, then looking at Mase. "Y I saw the mark on her neck. Congrats, Mason," she continued and patted his back, trying to lighten the mood.

Mase nodded his head in acknowledgment, "She is the sweetest thing, isn't she? God, I'm so lucky to finally have her," Mason gushed, finally the mood feeling a bit light with the news about Victoria and Mason. 

"She really is amazing. Even though I barely spent time with her, I know she's great. She helped me deal with Axel's grandma too," I agreed, but Mason didn't even look in my direction. I can't believe I ruined my relationship with Mase like this. And if he hates me, while he was my biggest supporter, I wonder how the rest of the pack feels about me. They probably wish I had died during the Trials and spared them all this trouble.

I was about to excuse myself and go cry in a hole when we suddenly heard Tyler's phone ring. I was almost out the door and ready to go upstairs when I heard Tyler breathe out, "Axel Knight."