To the Ground

*NOT EDITED*

I felt my heart beat a million times a minute. I wanted to run towards Tyler and snatch that phone right out of his hands just to hear Axel's voice. I wanted Axel to know that I was sorry, that I didn't mean to leave him, and that I wished circumstances were better for us. Yet, I just couldn't get myself to move my feet. I couldn't let the remnants of the mate bond control my actions. Not when he made me feel unimportant. Not when he would have picked being Alpha over me. Not when he made it clear that I meant nothing to him. Not when he has proven time and time again that he only cares about the Pack. He marked me and led me to believe that I was his, but I realized that he only marked me to give me more strength for the Trials—not to make me his Luna.

Even knowing all this, a part of me was calling out to him, wanting to make sure he was okay. My hand gripped the railing, not knowing whether I should stay and listen to the conversation or go upstairs and act like my life isn't falling apart.

Tyler seemed to make the choice for me when he waved for me to come back and sit. I would have found his hand motions funny if this situation wasn't the worst situation I have ever been in. 

"Don't tell him I'm here. Please, I don't think I can talk to him on the phone right now. I don't even know why he is looking for me. He might just want to officially reject me. Please, not a word about the fact that I am here," I begged Tyler. He nodded, then quickly moved the phone off his ear and pressed the speaker button.

"Callista Jessen. Do you know her?" I heard my mate say from the other side of the phone. Yet, it sounded nothing like Axel; his voice was weak but hoarse, nothing like the smooth sound I recognize. It was weird that this was happening in front of everyone. It felt like this should be an intimate moment between me and Axel, and I wished that it would have been the two of us. But, I am too weak to face this on my own.

"Yes. Actually Axel, she—," Tyler started to answer before I smacked him to stop talking. I don't want Axel to know that I am here just yet. It obviously didn't seem like he had heard the message on Jace's phone, and I wanted to keep it that way just a bit longer. 

"She's my mate. I don't know if you know that," Axel interrupted and then we heard a long sip and a glass roughly clank on a desk. We could safely assume that he has been drinking just like Mason said. Then he continued, "She's gone." 

At this point, Victoria had come downstairs and joined us, on the couch. She sat next to Mason, holding him. And I don't know whether it was because I was hearing my mate's broken voice on the phone or because I realized that I will never have what Mason and Victoria had, but I just wanted to slap the two of them for rubbing their cuteness in my face. However, I tried controlling my emotions as best I could, working hard to stop the tears from streaking my face.

"I knew she was your mate. We spoke on the phone when Emory went missing. She's a good person," Tyler voiced.

"She left. Just like everything good in my life. Even Mason left, but it wasn't like he had a choice in that," Axel said, taking another long sip of his drink. I could feel the pain in his voice. I wished I could reach through the phone to take his glass away from his hands and to run my hands through his hair, and get him to sleep, telling him that this was all an ugly nightmare.

"I bet she didn't want to leave," Tyler answered.

"You have to help me find her," Axel pleaded. I forgot to breathe for a second.

"Why should I help you?" Tyler asked cautiously. I was shocked that this is what he decided to say to Axel. But understandably, Axel almost didn't help Tyler find Emory, and she was a little girl until I intervened. 

"Because, I will give you back all the land you gave me when you needed my help in finding your daughter," Axel negotiated.

"I'll think about it. I won't make any deals with you when you are drunk," Tyler answered. I was about to smack him in the face for what he just said. It felt like he was milking every second of this, and it wasn't sitting well with me. But I think Tyler was doing this so that he can get Axel to open up. Was that his way of making me hear what Axel had to say? 

"You can have whatever you want. Money. Land. Whatever. If I have it, you can take it. But, I know that your pack has connections, and you can help me. I'll never ask you for anything again. Just help me find her," Axel pleaded again. A part of me wanted to tell him that I was right here, and that I was on my way back to him. But I couldn't find my voice as the tears ran down my face. 

"How many packs have you asked for help other than mine?" Tyler asked.

"Too many to count, but I am in the process of negotiating assets and land with them. Deals that we made in the past I am breaking. You're welcome to get in on the action. I decided that I am running Blood Venom to the ground, and letting the fucking Council pick up the pieces. All they ever do is make my life miserable. It's time I return the favor. I don't care anymore."

"You're gonna regret this, Axel. What if you get challenged?"

"I don't care."

"She failed the Trials. Even if you find her, she can't be your Luna," Tyler reminded us.

"Fuck the Trials," Axel laughed dryly, "They've caused my family enough trouble! Even if she won't be my Luna, she is still my mate," We then heard a loud smash through the speakers.

"Yes, that she is," Tyler agreed, looking at me, and I tried my best to avoid contact.

"I told her that I would pick the Alpha position over her if she didn't pass. That's why she left."

"Hmm," Tyler nodded, letting his friend let out his feelings.

"I lied." When I heard this, my heart stopped beating for a second. I couldn't believe what I had heard.

"Listen Axel, I think I have an idea where she might be. We can do this together. Just don't do anything else. And for the love of God, stop sabotaging your pack. You worked really hard to get where you are now. People are depending on you, you can't let them down. Their lives are in your hands. Is there any way we can dissolve the Council and remove their hold on the pack quickly while we try to figure out what to do?"

"We could kill them," Axel answered.

"Do not kill anyone, Axel. I could not possibly be more serious.  I am on my way to your pack and Mason is coming with me. Don't do anything stupid and pull yourself together. You sound nothing like the man I once knew."

"Yeah, that's because she shattered me."