In Over My Head

*NOT EDITED*

I looked at the intruder with a scowl. I was really starting to enjoy the show.

"How do you know my middle name?" 

"I read the file we had on you from your old pack, but that's not the point?" he answered quickly.

"What is it, Mason?" I asked uninterested.

"Axel just told me that we were having a having a ball, and we are inviting a whole bunch of Packs. He said that it was your idea," he rushed out.

"Yeah isn't it great?" I squealed.

"No, no, no, no, no! Come on, Calista! Why do you want a ball? Why would you do this to me? Do you know how much paperwork I have to do now?" he whined. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Trust me it is going to be worth it!" I encouraged him. Maybe he was just nervous about finally having a chance to meet his mate.

"Nothing is worth the amount of paperwork that I will be doing. Do you know what he was going to have me do? I am going to have to run background checks on everyone who RSVPs and every single person that comes here. I am going to have to work out the shifts of the patrol and guards. I am going to—."

"How can you say that your mate is not worth the extra work you would need to put in? I swear the men of this pack are all a bunch of stinky assholes." I yelled out.

"What are you talking about?" he asked genuinely caught off guard. Stupid Mason, he hasn't connected the dots.

"Let me walk you through this. We are having a ball."

"Yes, unfortunately for me." I just rolled my eyes again. I have been doing a lot of that lately.

"We are inviting a bunch of people from many, many other packs."

"Cue all the background checks that I have to do," he scowled.

"We are only inviting people in the sixteen to twenty-five age range."

"Yes, where are you going with this exactly?"

"Your mate could be one of the people who have been invited. And if she comes you actually have a chance of meeting her." I concluded with a smile.

"Oh," he let out, trying to grasp what I have just spelled out to him.

"Mmm hmm," I sassed with a chuckle.

"Oh my God! This is terrific! Do you think it will work?"

"Yeah, I hope so. It'd better work, I have sacrificed enough to have this be a success," I nudged him.

"Really, what did you 'sacrifice' as you so eloquently put it?" he smirked at me. It seemed like he didn't know what my end of the bargain was in order to have this ball. I didn't want to make him feel bad. After all, Mason has already done so much for me including killing someone to save my life, and I owed him one.

"I have to see your nasty face everyday until the ball," I kidded, kicking his leg where he was standing in front of the couch.

"You'll live," he answered, grabbing my legs that were sprawled on the couch and shoving them off, effectively replacing them with his muscular body. As he crashed on the couch, his weight caused me to bounce up a little bit, causing us both to laugh.

"Have you set a date yet? Axel didn't really give me a lot of details. But I guess I didn't really give him a chance. The minute he said that I barged out of his office trying to find you. Sorry about that by the way," he smiled apologetically.

"Yeah, I did, just a little while ago. It is going to be on July 29th," I informed him. "That is such a long time from now, though," he pouted.

"Mase, it's less than a month's time. Plus, we need as much time to plan this as possible, and when you think about it, it is better to send the invitations in the mail. Which even in first priority, express mail, it might take a week to reach some packs. And, you need to give people at least two weeks advance notice. So, having it slightly less than a month from now is cutting it pretty close. I also have to account for the fact that some packs might need to travel here, which would also shave off some time. Don't worry, the days will pass really quickly and before you know it, the ball will be here," I explained, happy that Mason is on board with this.

"That makes sense, I guess. You haven't sent the invitations out already, right?"

"No, Mase. Calm down, I just got this approved from Axel about a couple hours ago. I haven't even designed them yet. Remember, I just set the date. There is no way I magically designed, printed, personalized, and sent out the invitations already," I started laughing. As my laughs died down, I noticed that his cheeks had tinted a slight pink, feeling embarrassed about his dumb moment. "I still have a lot to plan, and I think I am in over my head here, but I think it will be worth it," I added.

"You're right, it does seem like you have a lot of work to do here. Come on, I have an idea," he said as he got off the couch and dragged me off the couch with him, heading out of the living room to the front door.

"Wait, Mason, what is going on?" I asked confused, still clutching on to the pen and notebook that I had set on my lap after my conversation with my mom.

"I think that it would be good if you delegate some of the planning to a few members in the pack. That way it will go smoother," he answered.

"My mom said the same thing!" I exclaimed. He let go of my hand, as he opened the front door for me to go through.

"I am sure Jade would love to stick her nose in this, and you know her so that will work out."

"No, no, no! Anyone but that bitch. Please, Mason, I really don't like her. She ruined the mall for me. The mall! It is literally my favorite place on earth, and she made me wish I wasn't there with her. Can you imagine having to plan this with her. I will pull my hair out." I admitted, slightly terrified that I will have to spend about a month worth of planning with this nasty woman.

"Oh, come on, she isn't that bad. Plus, she is one of the few members in the pack that know about you but knows not to say a word."

"How come she knows? I thought Axel wanted to keep this under wraps," I asked curiously. This actually had been bugging me for a while. I was genuinely surprised when she showed up a few days ago at the door. Although, I was thankful for her and Andrea's intrusion, because Axel was in the middle of rejecting me. I visibly winced, as I recalled the hurtful memory.

"Well, she is the gamma's little sister, so she tends to know a lot of things about the pack. But, she knows not to say anything. I promise. And she is not that bad, seriously. I have known her since she was a baby. She'll grow on you after a while," he affirmed.

"I don't think she will ever grow on me. And I am like almost 100% sure she has a crush, if not more, on Axel." I scowled, hating the thought.

"News flash, Cal, literally every girl in this pack had a crush on Axel at some point. He is the sexy, mysterious Alpha," Mason bluntly stated, not really aware of how saying this might affect me.

The green monster in me surfaced as I thought about all the women in this pack wanting to be with my mate, who even I couldn't have. Wait, was there a thing between Jade and Axel, that I don't know about?     

A/N: Thank you for the reads, my lovelies.