33 ~ August

"The weather is so good today!" Ben exclaims, stretching his arms out as he glances around the relatively empty beach.

We've travelled to Layman's Cove, wary of how busy the other beach gets at this time of year. It has only taken three cars, and half an hour longer, to get us here.

"It's been a good Summer." I agree, smiling as I take in the peaceful scenery, the golden sand, the clear sky, the inviting blue sea.

"Nearly over now though." Ben muses and I glance over at him.

"You excited for college?"

"Of course!" He grins, looking over at me. "Lots of new girls to..."

"Okay!" I cut him off, holding my hands out to stop him.

"Jealous?"

"No!" I retort as I laugh, "Ben, I'm kind of with your best friend."

"Still worth a try!" He grins, shrugging.

"Talk later Ben!" I sing as I walk away, giggling. Becky has settled down on the ground, lying flat and sunning herself, her lilac swimsuit far more conservative than the usual Becky attire.

"This is just what I need!" Becky exclaims, laying back slightly. "I've been missing this kind of Vitamin D."

"You literally lie around your pool every day." Georgia scoffs, sitting down beside her.

"It's not the same as the beach." Becky argues, "Do you know what all those chemicals in a pool do to your hair?"

"I don't want to know." Zara retorts, lying back on her towel and placing her shades over her face. I turn away, looking out towards the sea, a small boat on the horizon, but other than that nothing for miles around. The beach is pretty scarce, only a few groups of people scattered far and wide. We're practically on our own, the calm beach air peaceful and serene.

I love it.

"I'm so glad we came to this beach instead of the one we went to last Summer. Do you remember the last time we went to that beach?" Zara grimaces and I nod in agreement.

The day I ran into Brett and spilled drink everywhere. Not my finest moment.

"Hey." Brett's familiar voice comforts me and I immediately sink back into him as he wraps his arms around me.

"Hey." I reply, turning my head to look up at him.

"Are you okay?" He questions, his eyes wary.

"I'm fine." I reply, reaching up to cup his face, "Stop worrying about me. I'm okay." I murmur and he turns me round to face him. He leans down, taking my mouth into his own as he kisses me. I immediately reach up, leaning on my tip-toes to kiss him harder and he smiles into my mouth at the action.

"I have to tell you something." He says, pulling back and wrapping his arm around my waist.

"What?"

"I... uhh... I got accepted to Stanford." He mutters, running his hand through his hair.

"You did?" I can't help but exclaim. "That's incredible!" Wow...

"You're not mad?" He asks, his eyes cautious as he runs his hand through his hair again, letting go of my waist.

"Why would I be mad?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowed. What is he on about? He sighs, looking away from me.

"Well, because it's kind of, your dream."

"So?" I retort, smiling up at him, "Congratulations!"