72 ~ September

The other team is up by seven points. There are seconds left on the clock and the entire Christlington University watches with bated breath as Brett runs forward, the ball under his arm as he heads for the end zone. Scoring a touchdown the crowd erupts into cheers, my hands resting by my mouth as the nerves eat away at my sanity.

Pete steps up, grabbing hold of the ball as the team lines up for a field goal, my heart now racing in my chest as Polly grabs hold of my hand, squeezing it tightly. Suddenly Pete passes the ball to Brett, faking the snap as the crowd erupts into shrieks. Brett catches it effortlessly, running to the end zone and managing to score the extra two points for the win as the buzzer goes.

Brett looks up at the stand, his eyes finding mine. I squeal as he sees me, reaching up and cheering louder as he laughs, gesturing for me to leave the stand and meet him. I grin and nod, dropping my foam finger as Elena, Louise and Polly smirk and giggle, pointing for me to go.

I run down the length of the stand, my hair flying out behind me as I grin, finding my way to the stairs and running down them. Brett meets me at the bottom and we collide instantly, his arms wrapping around me and lifting me up as I squeal.

"I did it!" He exclaims before stepping back and grinning down at me.

"I knew you would." I retort and his grin widens before he grabs hold of my chin, crushing his lips to mine. The stadium is still erupting in cheers, the losing team having left the field already, their supporters also draining out of the stadium. Reluctantly pulling away Brett rests his forehead against mine, his breath ragged as he smiles. I smile back, perfectly happy in the tiny world to which we've become accustomed.

Finally letting go of me, he turns slightly, his eyes widening at the sight. I quickly follow his gaze, my mouth opening slightly in disbelief at the sight of the pristine Winters parents, stood awkwardly, smiling slightly. What the hell?

"Mom. Dad." He lets out, eyes wide. I let go of him, startled that his Mom actually came, let alone the fact that she managed to get his Dad here. What is happening?

"Son." His Dad greets, nodding slightly.

"You came!" Brett exclaims, still frozen in place.

"Of course!" Olivia smiles, taking a step closer and giving Brett a quick hug. He barely has time to react before she steps back. "You did so well out there!"

"She's right." George agrees and Brett's eyes widen. I think someone needs to come and help me lift my jaw off the ground.

"T-Thanks." He manages to stutter out.

"I'm proud of you Brett." Olivia beams.

"You are?"

"Of course!" She gushes, gesturing around at the stadium. "You've got talent."

"I don't know what to say." Brett shifts on his feet, clearly unsure of how to react to his suddenly caring parents.

"You were right Savannah." Olivia turns her attention to me with a smile. "I'm not going to be missing another game."

"Sav?" Brett queries, glancing down at me, confused.

"Will you come over tomorrow Brett?" Olivia exclaims, giving me time to attempt to cultivate a justification as to why I didn't tell him I spoke with his Mom last week, "Alice really wants to see you. We could have a family dinner."

"Uh, sure." Brett agrees, slightly reluctantly. "Savannah and I will be there..."

"I'm busy." I quickly interrupt, "Elena wanted me to go... to this... thing with her."