37.

While Blair was thinking about Fred and George's potential, she hadn't realised that she had been staring at the boy himself at the Gryffindor table. Lee noticed the girl's stare as he was sitting opposite George and pointed behind him to make sure she was acknowledged. George turned around with a raised eyebrow and noticed the thoughtful look on Blair's face and started to wave his arms around, trying to snap her out of her obvious trance.

Finally noticing what she was doing, Blair perked up and blushed in embarrassment at the grin that stretched across George's face. Blair could hear his laugh across the hall and through the multiple conversations that were happening at the Hufflepuff table that was in between them. She smiled back at him awkwardly and he shook his head, bringing out his wand from his robe pocket and a scrunched up piece of parchment that had probably been in there for years now.

Blair watched in curiosity as he muttered some spell while tapping the ball of parchment. The ball morphed its form and took the shape of an origami owl, taking flight and soaring over the top of the conversing students at their tables. Blair's mouth was open in wonder as the owl's wings moved as if it was real and watched it descend down to her table, landing in front of her and even hooting. It then sunk back into its crumpled ball state, acting as if it hadn't just been charmed to do something magical. Blair couldn't contain the smile that grew on her face and she looked back up to George, seeing him smiling back and looking mighty proud of himself.

"Welcome to another magical year at Hogwarts," Professor Dumbledore's voice rang out loudly and the chatting that once filled the hall came to a halt. Blair tore her attention away from George and looked to the man, now only just noticing the changes at the teacher's table. Hagrid appeared to be missing and in his place was the substitute Professor Grubbly-Plank, the woman who had filled in for him a few times when 'sick' or busy. Another woman sat at the table who no one had seen before and she wore the ghastliest of attire. She wore nothing but pink and her hair was brown and curled to imitate cuteness.

"Before we start our grand feast, there are some things that I'd like to announce with the changing of staff," Dumbledore continued and the students listened on. "In place of Professor Hagrid, who is away for the time being, shall be Professor Grubbly-Plank who shall take the Care for Magical Creatures this year until his return. And for our Defence Against the Dark Arts class, we have Professor Umbridge."

Scarce applause sounded throughout the hall but most were confused at the disappearance of Hagrid and the woman who shall be taking their Dark Arts class this year. She didn't look anything like their previous teachers with her frilly, bright clothes and sickly sweet smile that hadn't left her face once since Dumbledore had spoken. She sat in between Professor Snape, who looked as unhappy as ever, and Professor Trelawney who sat with her large eyes glancing worriedly at the woman next to her. Professor Umbridge looked so out of place that you could have said she was pink lemonade among the bottles of Butterbeer.

"I'm sure you will join me in wishing the Professor good luck," Dumbledore said after the light applause and nodded politely at Umbridge. "Now Quidditch tryouts shall be taking place on-"

"Hem hem."

Professor Dumbledore went silent at the interruption and turned around to see Professor Umbridge standing from her seat and making her way down towards the podium. It was now that everyone could see that she was incredibly short and barely met Dumbledore's shoulders. Her short stubby legs took her to stand next to Dumbledore who looked down at her with a neutral expression but said nothing as she looked over the four tables packed with staring students.

"Thank you, Professor Dumbledore, for those kind words," she started and her voice was as sweet as her clothes. "And I'm so happy to see all your bright, happy faces, smiling up at me."