38.

Students received their timetables the next morning and headed off to class after a hefty breakfast in the Great Hall. Most were anticipating their Defence Against the Dark Arts class so that they could see if they had finally been given a teachers that wasn't a werewolf, Death Eater, carrying You Know Who on the back of their head or a poor excuse for a wizard. Even though Professor Umbridge had an annoyingly sweet voice and a poor taste in clothing, she might be hiding some impressive defence work.

Blair headed to Arthimancy first before heading towards her Defence Against the Dark Arts class. Because of it being a compulsory subject throughout all years at Hogwarts, she would be spending the lesson with all of the Ravenclaws and Gryffindors in her year group. It was odd to think that this would be her final year of doing the subject in a schooling environment. After this year, she would be using what she had learnt in the real world (only when needed, of course).

Walking into the classroom, she spotted the woman in pink standing at the front with her short wand in hand and her sickly smile of her face. Blair tried to avoid eye contact as she made her way towards the table on her left, sitting next to the window and leaving a space next to her for whoever would walk into the room first out of her friends. George usually liked to have his seat saved but Blair always argued that if he kept coming to class fifteen minutes late, he would have to sit next to some other poor sod who would have endure his constant chatter instead of her.

Just like Blair thought, George walked through the door early for once but had Nancy, Poppy and Mina close behind him. Since the seats were only two to a table, someone would have to sit by themselves if the seat next to Blair was to be filled. George grinned at first but saw Nancy and Mina slip into the seats behind Blair, leaving him and Poppy to eye the last seat in front of them.

"I'm her boyfriend," he immediately said and turned to Poppy with a hard look. "It's my seat."

"I don't recall you ever actually asking Blair to be your girlfriend. Therefore; your advantage is actually invalid," Poppy sassed and started to charge towards the seat, only to have George do the same.

The two engaged in a shoving war in order to make it to the chair that sat oblivious of its desire. Blair didn't bother looking over her shoulder as she knew exactly what was going on behind her. But she was aware of the annoyed looks that were being thrown in her direction from other students because of the sound of tables and chairs that had been caught in the pushing war. George and Poppy continued to slink past each other until Poppy jammed her elbow into his side, making him let out an 'oof!' and fall behind.

"Yes!" Poppy cheered as she grabbed hold of the chair, ready to pull it back and sit on her throne.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" George cried and used his wand to raise the chair from under the table and up into the air, leaving Poppy with no seat. Everyone stared up at the furniture that hovered high in the air and George's large grin radiated over the entire room.

"Good luck sitting now!" he laughed and Poppy turned to shoot an insult back, only to be stopped by Professor Umbridge's not so sweet voice.

"Mr Weasley! This is not appropriate behaviour and I will not tolerate it in my classroom!" she shouted, causing everyone to turn and look at their Professor who now had her cheeks painted pink and her small, stubby fists clenched by her sides. She glared harshly at George before lifting her own wand and pointing it at the chair that still floated in the air, sending some spell at it and causing it to lower down slowly to the ground.

"There shall be none of this wand work in my classroom!" she said again. "Mr Weasley, Miss Penigram, would you please take your seats."

Poppy realised that she had upset the new Professor before class had even started and started to make her way towards the back of the classroom instead. It was obvious that George had won the seat next to Blair for the day and she chose to not draw any more attention to herself, giving George the satisfaction he thought he deserved. She hung her head over her desk and would have to endure sitting by herself for the hour today.