~Chapter Forty One~

May 18th, 1989

I was currently sitting on the beach at 7 in the morning contemplating life. The smell of salt water hit my nose as the waves crashed along the sand. The sounds the waves produced were slowly calming my nerves. I could feel the warmth from the sun which slowly began to rise behind me.

My hands scooped the sand I then watched the grains fall only to scoop them back up again. I was trying my best to push my thoughts, worries, and concerns far away from my mind at the moment but I was quite unsuccessful.

Tears were stained against my cheeks and I was still dressed in my silk pajama set, with a silk robe lightly tied around my waist.

"Phoebe?" A voice said behind me. I sighed, I was hoping I had more time than this to think about what I was going to say.

"What are you doing out here? It's only 7 in the morning" the voice continued, growing louder as they approached me.

I tried to shove my head in between my legs and hide from the world, but I knew better, I knew that it would just make it worse to ignore and pretend than to confront face on.

"Phoebe whats wrong?" Billy asked as he crouched down next to me.

"I don't want to say it out loud because if I say it out loud then it makes it real" I mumbled.

"Phoeb, I think we've been through enough to know we can handle anything" Billy said.

"You might be ready, but I don't think I am" I said. Tears began to flow again, this time I couldn't stop them. Exhaustion and delusion were the result of the tears.

"Phoebe c'mon what's wrong?" Billy asked as he gently rubbed my back. I pushed the blanket I had wrapped around my shoulders off and practically tackled Billy as I leapt into his lap for a hug.

We sat there for what felt like forever but was realistically a minute or so. I lifted my head from the crook of his neck, looking up, my eyes meeting his, my arms still wrapped around his neck. Stray tears rolled down my cheek as my sobs began to subside.

His thumb rubbing the stray tears away.

"I'm pregnant" I said. His lips crashed against mine.

"Phoebe that's amazing news. Why are you so upset?" Billy asked.

"You think we're ready? We are barely in our 20's Billy"

"Hey, hey, we'll make it work. We always have, what's stopping us now?"

"You're right, I just think I let my hormones get the best of me. I was gonna give you this, you know when I told you but, I don't know who would want a freshly peed on stick anyways" I said pulling the stick from out under the blanket and showing Billy.

Two faint lines resided on the pale pink plastic strip.

"It's the best gift ever"