twenty seven

Rey's POV

Calm down, Parker, I growled again.

Parker, my wolf, he is antsy today. I don't know what's wrong with him. We all are here in the pack hall. It is beautifully decorated with artificial moons and fairy lights.

The ceiling is painted like the night sky and you can tell that it's paint only if you look closely, that's how intricately it is painted. In the middle of the hall, in all it's glory, is burning the Heavenly Fire. That's where everyone will make offerings.

Pack members are still gathering and drinks and refreshments are being served. I walked to the bar to get something alcoholic to calm Parker a bit.

"One shot of Blue Lagoon, please", I said to the bartender.

"I'll have one shot of what he just ordered too", a small voice spoke beside me.

I turned around to see it is Lilly.

"No, you won't ", I told her arching my eyebrow.

"But why", she pouted, "I am old enough to have some alcohol "

"I know. But this is too strong for humans. It is just right to make werewolves tipsy but for humans....", I shaked my head.

"Oh.. okay... Rey, by the way, I am sorry about lashing out at you that day about that misunderstanding I had", she said and her tone suggested that she really is feeling bad.

"It's fine. I understand . In fact, my reaction would've been worse if it was my mate hugging some other male", I said while shifting uncomfortably on my stool.

"Are you alright", she asked, concern laced in her voice.

"Yeah.. it's just my wolf---"

"Dear pack members, I am so happy to see all of you gathered here to thank the moon goddess for this amazing year. Now, before we start making our offerings to the goddess, I would like to introduce some new pack members", said Dom in his Alpha tone. Alpha power is radiating off of him.

"Come on, it's our cue to go backstage", said Lilly hastily, walking towards the backstage.

"I would like the Elder Claire to come on the stage for the 'Marcam ceremony' and engrave the skin of the new members with our emblem, showing that they are one of us now "

An elderly lady came to the view, draped in an all white attire. She had the holy blade and enchanted ink in her hands.

One by one, Dom called us by our names.

"Caleb Donovan, the  commander in general of all the pack warriors"

Caleb walked to the stage in all his glory, head held up in pride.

That's my bro.

He outstretched his hand and the Elder engraved his wrist creating the Marcam of the pack symbol, which is three circles looped together with the help of olive vines. The circles resemble bravery,  loyalty and unity and the vine resembles peace.

It took no more than a minute to engrave it and he continued with speaking out the names.

"Reynold White, an excellent warrior and a strong wolf who is now the trainor of the FORTEM cadre."

"Lillian Adams, who is Caleb's mate and a kind hearted human"

"Cassandra White, who will be working in the infirmary as she is a gifted one. She is a healer "

The whole hall bursted with cheers and applause.

"And now a last and important announcement,  our Beta and Gamma are back from the mission. I would like to welcome these two commendable warriors,

Beta Michael Herron, and Gamma Jasmine Walters" , and everyone burst into clapping but my world got still.

That smell. That fucking smell.

A mixture of jasmine and lavender. It is mouth watering. It is setting my wolf crazy. I need to find the source of--

Mate.

Parker growled.

My mate. She is here. I tried to find the source of that smell and there she is. Right in front of me, my beautiful mate.

She is a true beauty. She is in a warrior's attire and damn she looks sexy. Her hair are black and long. I want to touch her and be near her. Her brown eyes and plump lips are driving me crazy.

Parker is wagging his tail and he is literally drooling. I can't wait. I want her right now.

And she is coming towards us. Suddenly her stance changed.

She knows we are here. 

Parker purred happily and suddenly our eyes met and it sent jolts of electricity down my spine. She got on the stage and I couldn't control myself.

I ran towards her and she froze in her track. Without thinking once, I engulfed her in my embrace and sparks went down throughout my body and I knew she felt it too.

"Mine", I growled loudly showing everyone that she belongs to me.

She returned the gesture by wrapping her arms around my torso. I felt everyone's eyes on us but in that moment, I did not care.

I felt complete . I was on the top of the world. I opened my eyes and my vision was kinda.... blurry?

Suddenly I heard an ear ripping scream, followed by another and other.

She broke the embrace and turned around towards the screaming. I rubbed my eyes and this time my vision was perfect but what I saw was devastating.

About five wolves are on the ground howling and crying pain. Some are male wolves while some are female. What happened?

They looked as if they are in agonizing pain. She ran towards one of the collapsed wolf and so did I but as soon as I stepped forward, it felt like my whole body was on fire and then, a screeching pain ran throughout my body.

I couldn't help but scream in pain and agony. My talons grew out and I am in agonizing pain.

A tear left my eyes. This is the first time in my entire fucking life that physical pain is that unbearable. Fuck it. Out of all the days in my life, this had to happen today.

What will my beautiful mate think? It is very clear that she is the Gamma and that means she is strong. She will think I am weak. This thought is hurting my heart.

And what is even wrong with me?

Another wave of pain ran through my body and all I heard were multiple people shouting my name before darkness engulfed me.