Two Steps Ahead

I love the support you all gave the last chapter. I hope you enjoy this one.

"It's like looking in a mirror." Barry time remnant stares us down. "Well...not quite." He points to his scars on his face.

"You're not so scary without your armor." Barry taunts him.

"What can I say? I outgrew red." The time remnant mocks Barry.

"I know what you are. You're a time remnant." I declare stepping from behind Barry to face the villain who has been tormenting us.

"A temporal duplicate. Created when he runs back in time and meets himself. Barry brought a remnant to life last year to defeat Zoom. Your duplicate died saving the multiverse, and you continued your happy little life. And it would've stayed that way, but then you." The remnant points to Barry. "You decided to play God when you couldn't handle that the doppelganger of the woman you love killed your father. You created Flashpoint and changed everything."

"I went to the future. My future self told me that he created time remnants to stop you. But you slaughtered them all." Barry informs him as we keep our distance.

"All but one. Me. I lived. But the funny thing happened when I did. You. Joe. Wally. Cisco. You all shunned me because I wasn't the true Barry Allen. I was an aberration. A disposable hero. Even when I saved you, Anna. You didn't see me as anything. It was only him." He looks deep into my eyes and I see the hurt he's suffered but it doesn't make up for the lives he's destroyed in the process. "Future you failed to mention that, didn't he?"

"How did you become Savitar?" I asked needing to understand him.

"I was broken and alone. I wanted the pain to end. And that's when I realized the truth, Barry and Anna. God feels no pain. All I had to do was become one. And I only need two more things. For Anna to die so that you are driven so far into the dark that I can be born."

"But you kill Iris instead." I correct him and he laughs at me. Barry grips my hand in fear of him.

"My sweet beautiful Anna." He takes a step closer to me. "There are different meanings of death. You of all people should know that. To be physically killed or left in a state that you can only wish death was the answer but living the rest of your life in suffering with no cure. Seems better." He nods his head at me.

"What is the other?" Barry asks him trying to keep his composure.

"It may sound ironic given who I'm talking to, but I'll keep that one to myself."

"What happens if I kill myself?" Barry blurts out.

"Barry no!"

"Shh. Anna. Let him speak." The time remnant orders me and I want to knock his head off his freaking shoulders right now.

"If I die, then you'll never be created." Barry explains.

"Cause and effect is a tricky thing. Didn't work so well for Eddie, did it? Shot himself in the chest...Thawne's still kicking around. See, that's the thing about time travel, Barry. The more you do it, the less the rules apply to you."

"But us having this conversation now...we're changing the future." Barry exclaims.

"Are we?" The remnant asks. "My ascendancy is nearing. When I have control of all time, it will be you who is abandoned and forgotten." He heads back to his suit but I raise my hands keeping him from leaving. Barry rushes to him and punches him in the face. Before I know it Barry has him in a chokehold.

"You're gonna die right here!" Barry declares.

"I forgot to tell you...my suit is cooler than yours." I can't keep up as they re all moving so fast for my eyes to see. Savitar's suit is fighting Barry and in a bright flash of light, the time remnant is back in the suit and is racing Barry.