new years

"Soph, this is the fifth time you've called me in the past hour," I grumble with a hair pin clenched between my teeth.

Rough rustling comes from her end of the phone before she finally answers frantically, "I swear this is the last time, just look."

Huffing, I put the straightener down and prop my phone against the vanity mirror. She adjusts the straps of her bra before stepping back and holding up two dresses, both dangerously short and practically the same style. One's a sparkly silver and the other is iridescent. She really called me for this.

"Which one I can't pick," she whines.

"They both look the same. Just flip a coin." I take another piece of hair and straighten it until the slight waves are gone. I'm already running late and Sophie's self-doubt about every aspect of tonight isn't helping me go any faster. Then again, I spent the whole day binge-watching shitty reality TV on Netflix so I should be taking some responsibility on my part.

I smile to myself, catching her off guard. "Quit laughing at me and do your job. Pick one," she demands.

"Ok the um, the iridescent one."

She nods, satisfied. "Thank you, see was it that hard?"

"Oh shut up, you couldn't even choose!" I laugh. I finally take down the final section on my hair and start straightening that, relieved because I only have to sit here for 10 more minutes at most.

Sophie holds her finger up to her lips. "I needed a second opinion."

"Yeah well I need to finish getting ready, better learn to fend for yourself," I giggle, not being totally serious. I mean it'd be nice to get ready without her calling me every 5 minutes, but I'll be there to offer all the second opinions she needs without any true complaint.

She smacks her palm into her forehead. "Right! Oh shit yeah go get ready. And remember to dress hot tonight! The sweaters and pink lipgloss can be put on hold for the next few hours. We have to ring in the new year as the most bad bitch versions, no less."

"Yes, I heard this a million times. I'll slut it up," I mock her with dramatic hand motions.

"Atta girl! Okay run along now." She hangs up the phone immediately after, leaving me alone yet again.

I don't mind it though. The peaceful solace. I could use it before I throw myself into the deep end of all these people, some I know, most I don't. Parties are bearable to me, it's a great way to socialize, but only if I'm not sober. Otherwise, it's just boring as hell. Even if it's just a few drinks keeping me buzzed, I need some liquid motivation.

My makeup is a little more bold than I'm used to. The black smokey eye makes the blue in my eyes look sharper. I can already tell by the time I've done my winged eyeliner that I'm going to look like a whole other person by the end of this process.

That's the goal though, isn't it?

Kat waltzes into my room a mere 30 minutes later in a ruched pastel yellow crop top-mini skirt set. Her off-white heels elongate her legs as she struts across the length of my room with unmatched confidence.

"Who are you?" I gawk as she shows off her outfit excitedly.

"I'm following Sophie's philosophy and I can honestly say it's working out pretty well," Kat nods to herself as she stares at herself in my full length mirror hung in front of my closet.

I apply one strip of thick lashes carefully while managing to utter with a smirk, "Grant is going to pass out when he sees you in that."

"Oh believe me I know. I shaved just in case," she nods with a sly wink, making me turn away in disgust.